Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-07, 01:27 AM   #1
cadoras99

Post Improving gaming pings

I have been frustrated in Vista playing things like Counter-strike source with my pings and lag. Where in XP I never really had anything go over 60 on my favorite servers, now I'm lucky to get down to 60. Not to mention the inconsistency, ping fluctuating from 70 to 115, hovering at 83, you get the idea. I've googled a bit and been unable to find people with the same experience or any idea for tweaks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No, I am not using my internet connection for anything else, yes I've bypassed my router, the only thing that has changed is I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit vs XP Pro.
cadoras99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:40 AM   #2
j0j081

Default Re: Improving gaming pings

Have you disabled things like Windows Defender and are you using any gadgets? I noticed that to after first installing but after making a few changes my ping seems to have returned to around the XP level now.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 03:57 PM   #3
cadoras99

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0j081
Have you disabled things like Windows Defender and are you using any gadgets? I noticed that to after first installing but after making a few changes my ping seems to have returned to around the XP level now.
Oh definitely. My setup is clean, no sidebar, no icons, no unnecessary services, startup programs, background apps, windows components, UAC, defender, security center, media center, you name it.
cadoras99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 06:22 PM   #4
DMx
*BANNED*

Vista sucks.
DMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 06:40 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMx
Vista sucks.
Wow. If ever I saw a more accurate statement. Because you have brought such enlightenment to the masses, I'm sure everybody will go back to XP and boycott Vista.

Hey, let's get an online petition to have MS recall Vista untill it is p3rf3ct!

You sir, are a genius.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote