Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-10-07, 03:04 PM   #1
DarkOneX

Default Media Center & Embedded Videos in IE7 Not Working

I have a couple of problems that I've been beating my head against the past week or so and while at least on the Media Center problem it seems I've gained a tiny bit of headway, I haven't found anything on the embedded video problem. I'm very proficient with computers and fixing issues, I do so for a living and have for years, so I'm no dummy but these 2 issues are being incredibly difficult, and I'm sure with it being a new OS isn't helping matters much either. Lets start with my setup:

Core2Duo e6600
4GB RAM
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
All the latest and greatest patches and drivers

Problem #1 - Media Center - Used to be when I fired up Media Center, and went to Library Setup, it would crash the Media Center program saying "Media Center has quit working and will close now" or something similar and that was it. I was also having an issue with Windows Media Player 11 also crashing but right upon firing it up, and also H264 video files in Media Player Classic running too fast. However, after messing around with different ways and versions of K-Lite Codec Pack and FFDShow I finally got it to where all my videos now work great in Media Player Classic, and Windows Media Player 11 now doesn't crash, and Media Center no longer dies with an error, but now instead when I go to Add Library or try to play a sample video, it comes up with an error saying "Video Error, Files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly. Please restart Media Center and/or restart the computer". Well I know that reinstalling Media Center in Vista isn't an option as far as I know, so any ideas on what I can try? I've been doing alot of Google searching and haven't found much except some posts where peeps said that they had similar issues after installing Satellite TV for PC (which of course I had to do the same) and that it totally messes stuff up. I have to think that could possibly be why all this got messed up to begin with, but since I have uninstalled that software and no remnants remain as far as I'm aware.

Problem #2 - Embedded media in IE7 - For some reason I used to be able to play any embedded videos in IE7 but now I can hardly see any, instead I get one of those lovely blank placeholder boxes with a red X. If I try running a CNN.com video it actually tells me I don't have Windows Media Player installed, but since Windows Media Player 11 is clearly installed and now working, this doesn't make sense to me. I also have the same issue if I run Firefox or Netscape as well, even if the appropriate plugins are installed. Any ideas on this? I can't find really anything on this via Google searching and this one is actually the one I want fixed the most.

Sorry for it being so long and thanks in advance.

Desktop - {i7-960 3.2Ghz} {Asus P6X58D-E} {24GB Corsair DDR3} {EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB} {Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD} {(3X) WD Black 1TB HDDs} {Seagate 750GB HDD} {WD 4TB external} {WD 2TB external} {20X DVD-RW} {X-Fi} {Corsair HX850 PSU} {CM690 II case} {24" Dell U2410 LCD} {20" Dell 2007FP LCD} {Logitech G500} {Logitech G710+} {Windows 7 64bit} {CP1500PFCLCD UPS

Laptop 1 - {Lenovo Ideapad Y400} {i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz} {8GB DDR3} {GeForce GT750M 2GB} {1TB HDD + 16GB SSD} {14" Anti-Glare (1366x768)} {Windows 8 64bit

Laptop 2 - {HP DM4-3090se Beats Edition} {i5-2430M 2.4Ghz} {8GB DDR3} {Intel 3000 HD graphics} {500GB HDD} {14" LED Display (1366 x 768)} {Windows 8 64bit
DarkOneX is offline   Reply With Quote