Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-07, 10:39 AM   #1
alpilotx

Question NVidia: does a driver debugging/logging tool exist? (for public use)

I ask, because I noticed myself - and here in the forum posts - that often, we are facing potential driver issues, which the NVidia team is not able - or at least not easily - to reproduce (for example, just because they don't have every software which we users use, and have problems with).

Now, of course we already have nvidia-bug-report.sh which helps at least to document all the environment informations and standard logs, so NVidia knows where to start. But they can't track back directly what lead to that issue.

So, if we had a tool, which could be started to protocol at when ever needed (maybe just start it in another console), with a configurable debug level, and would write to a log, whatever the applications send to the driver ... then - for example with the NVRM:XID freezing issue (which I have too) - it would be easier to see, what lead up to a specific issue ... (you could see the last things, that happened in the driver just before a crash, and so on)

I don't know if this is feasible or not, but as an IT professional (though not from hardware/driver sector) I would find such a tool very useful (and I think it could speed up the time to find bugs/issues/user errors).

alpilotx
alpilotx is offline   Reply With Quote