Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-07, 11:58 AM   #1
Sven Conrad

Default using a second adapter and ignore the first

Hi,

I have a motherboard with Nvidia Chipset (MCP51) which came with an on board GForce 6100. Since it has no DVI output I have bought a GForce 6200 HDTV(ready) card. With this second card in the PEG port, the MB start's up on the 6200 and for windows everything else works fine too, i.e. the external 6200 is used.
But on Linux I have a problem that the build in card is always selected for X. I have changed the BUS-ID in xorg.conf but that helps only partially:
only the "nv" driver is accepting the BUS id and starts on it - and only after complaining that there is no DEVICE section for the first PCI-ID.
The "nvidia" driver does not work at all. It only picks up the wrong card and crashes. Looks to me that even though the build-in card is visible on the PCI-BUS it still is not in working condition, since neither vesa, nv nor nvidea produce a picture but hang indefinitely on startup. I can not even switch back to text mode - only a reboot get me going again.

Is there any way to tell the "nvidia" driver to ignore the build-in card and use the second?

thanks in advance

/sven
Sven Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 12:05 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: using a second adapter and ignore the first

Specifying the BusID is how you instruct X to use a specific device. If that isn't working for you, then you'll need to provide a bug report that captures the failure.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 01:43 PM   #3
Sven Conrad

Default Re: using a second adapter and ignore the first

is there any other place where the BUS-ID is saved? I have only found the device section in xorg.conf - and that is not successful.
BTW, I have not mention so far the Linux is a Suse 10.2 - installed with only the on board adapter available.
Sven Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote