Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-03, 08:43 AM   #1
volt

Default Slowdowns

Dang, were we slashdotted or something? Since yesterday I've noticed poor loading times.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 10:19 AM   #2
The Baron

Better now?

Whaaaa?
Old 05-20-03, 10:41 AM   #3
MikeC
Administrator

I had to yank the NVIDIA video clip from the server. It's been mentioned on a number of large web sites and is being downloaded like there's no tomorrow.

Had it not been removed, we would have exceeded our allocated bandwidth uage for the month (400GB) by tomorrow.

Excess bandwidth fees are expensive.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 12:04 PM   #4
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Hell ya, this place just started flying again since you pulled the clip. Who would have though such a "small" video clip would cause so much strain on the server. I'd hate to be one of those sites mirroring something like a 200 meg Doom 3 demo when it becomes available.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 12:47 PM   #5
netviper13
Treehugger

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Hell ya, this place just started flying again since you pulled the clip. Who would have though such a "small" video clip would cause so much strain on the server. I'd hate to be one of those sites mirroring something like a 200 meg Doom 3 demo when it becomes available.
That's when the beauty of p2p can really shine though. Say someone with a nice upload speed gets it from a major server, they can then share it on a p2p network and serve as a small-level server for other people to download from.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 01:19 PM   #6
volt

I was thinkin of pulling it off, but I wouldn't have thought so many people would be still downloading it. Not to mention those who linked directly to it
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 04:44 PM   #7
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I was thinkin of pulling it off, but I wouldn't have thought so many people would be still downloading it. Not to mention those who linked directly to it
Those dirty leechers
Old 05-20-03, 04:47 PM   #8
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I thought about hosting it but I think my ISP would have bollocked me for it