Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-07, 02:23 PM   #1
f1f0
Linux User

Default Setting TV Standard with nvidia-settings

Hi.

I've read through the official documentation version 100.14.03 about the TV-Out mode. Most of the settings are said to be able to configure on-the-fly with nvidia-settings, except the TV Standard, which requires a lot of trial and error. Is this possible ?, if not, is there a plan for it in the following updates ?.

Thanks.
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 12:23 AM   #2
f1f0
Linux User

Default Re: Setting TV Standard with nvidia-settings

Anyone, please ?.

It's really a burden to have to modify xorg.conf, restart X, only to see that the device does not work, repeat the steps again.Will anyone please explain this in technical details how this is not feasible ?. It gets really frustrating as I have several TVs and almost no documentation about each one.
Old 05-17-07, 04:19 AM   #3
Thunderbird

Basically you only have PAL and NTSC. There are a number of different PAL/NTSC types but for TVOUT there's no difference between most of thoses (the differences are in the way the audio is encoded, since TVOUT doesn't carry audio it isn't important) The drivers default to what is configured in the video bios. For European cards this should be PAL and for most other parts of the world NTSC.

But even then the tvout system shouldn't matter much for modern TVs (ones build in the last decade or so) as they support both standards. (In the end there's ofcourse a difference (60Hz vs 50Hz; low res vs high res) between the two but for getting a picture it isn't that important)

In my opinion important options which can't be changed on the fly are the TVOutFormat.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 06:43 AM   #4
f1f0
Linux User

Thanks for your reply.

There are roughly two dozens of TV standards, each can be combined with a TV Out format. I usually get good results with most of my TVs, but a few others failed to display in color. After much trial and error, I managed to choose the correct TV standard, but it's a pain to set it up for every monitor I encounter. Not to mention I have to abandon running X applications.

The nvidia Windows driver, IIRC, can configure it dynamically. Since external monitors can be detected on the fly, I don't quite see why it's not possible to change the standard or Output format. Of course, I'm open for enlightenment.

Modelines should also be configured dynamically. Given that xorg 7.3 is being released this month, I look forward to seeing some fundamental shortcomings be resolved.