Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-07, 03:53 AM   #1
Trickster

Default How to run UT2004 across 2 screens?? Twinview? Xinerama? Confusion.

I am slightly confused about the terms Xinerama and Twinview. I am trying to run UT2004 across two 20.1" monitors (1600x1200 each). I have read various pages referring to meta modes of 3200x1200 but none seem to specify how this is actually obtained. Is it via the nvidia-settings, xorg.conf or ut2004.ini (or a combination of them)?

I guess there are 2 parts to this question:

1. The xinerama / twinview issue and
2. The UT2004 issue.

When I first attached both monitors I selected "twinview" in the nvidia-settings panel. The KDE desktop was then stetched across both monitors with the K launch button on the bottom left of TFT1 and the clock applet at the bottom right of TFT2. However UT would still only run on one of the montiors.

I then tried to configure them as separate X screens and enabled xinerama. Now I had the left display showing a "complete" KDE desktop i.e. full kicker panel, desktop icons etc. However, my desktop wallpaper was still stretched across both displays.

I tried to go back to twinview but still seem to stuck on the separate X screens even though nvidia-settings shows it as using twinview.

Sorry if this is as clear as mud. Just wondering:

- what is the difference between twinview and xinerama
- how easy is it to switch between them (am I going about this all wrong)?
- how do I get UT to display evenly across both the displays.

Forgot to mention:

kernel 2.6.18.4
nvidia 9755 driver
XFX GF7950GT XXX
2Gb Corsair TwinX PC2 6400
Trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 04:59 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: How to run UT2004 across 2 screens?? Twinview? Xinerama? Confusion.

First the difference between Xinerama and Twinview. Xinerama is a mechanism for merging two screens together. It doesn't matter if both screens are connected to a different videocard.

Nvidia's Twinview actually does the same as Xinerama. The difference is that Xinerama can work over multiple videocards where Twinview is tweaked to work only on a single card. This makes Twinview more efficient.

Under normal circumstances both Twinview and Xinerama should behave the same. Sometimes there are small issues. For instance some programs (useally window managers) like to know if a desktop is stretched over multiple output devices, so that when you press maximize on a window that it maximizes on only one monitor. In some cases this 'Xinerama information' isn't properly reported.

When you enable Twinview when you are in X using nvidia-settings ('DynamicTwinview') the Nvidia drivers don't provide Xinerama information to programs. This is because it wasn't known at the time X was started that Xinerama support had to be loaded. In case of this DynamicTwinview proper maximizing of Windows won't work correctly.

If you configure Twinview from within your xorg.conf Twinview will work correctly and behave similar to Xinerama.

Now what are those MetaModes? When you only have one display attached, you set a list of resolutions in your xorg.conf which you want to use on that display. All the resolutions you specify can then be used (you can switch between them using ctrl-alt-+/- or xrandr). In case of Twinview you need to specify which resolution to use on both displays at the same time. For instance you have a Metamode "1280x1024, 1024x768; 1024x768, 800x600; 1024x768, NULL;". This metamode tells to use 1024x768 on display 2 when display 1 is running at 1280x1024, it tells to use 800x600 on display 2 when display 1 is running at 1024x768 and there's also a mode which says disable display 2 when display 1 is at 1024x768.

So in case ut2004 isn't run on two screens, there's something wrong with the provided metamodes. You can also try to switch resolutions in UT2004, so that it can switch to the right mode.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 05:15 AM   #3
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster
how do I get UT to display evenly across both the displays.
You need to manually modify the values of "FullscreenViewportX"
and "FullscreenViewportY" in section "[SDLDrv.SDLClient]" of
".ut2004/System/UT2004.ini".

However, for a dual-head setup, you will have the crosshair
splitt in the middle across the two displays - not sure if this
is realy a comfortable way of gaming :-)

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 10:33 AM   #4
Trickster

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into configuring my xorg.conf for Twinview. I must also look into JaXXon's UT suggestions (yes this would be uncomfortable for gaming but I'd like to see what it looks like
XFX GF7950GT XXX
Old 05-17-07, 06:31 AM   #5
Trickster

Just an update to let you guys know how I got on.

I now understand the clear differences between the above "modes" but still cannot decide which is best for my needs (scratches head) I have played with twin X displays and Twinview.

Anyhow, I want to use Twinview for my day-to-day needs so I can drag windows across the displays. Also I would like also to use UT2004 without it either locating itself in the middle of the 2 screens or stretching across both.

So how can I ensure that when I start UT, it will ONLY occupy 1 of the displays in fullscreen (or should it be in windowed mode?)and leave the other display for other applications? I am guessing I will have to add a metamode?

Any help would be appreciated. There are a few things I just need to understand a bit more clearly.

BTW... regarding meta modes (as posted above), how are these actually selected? Is it through the normal desktop resolution application?
XFX GF7950GT XXX