Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-03, 08:01 PM   #1
Malakh

Send a message via ICQ to Malakh
Question HELP: Nvidia drivers with Mandrake 8.1?!

I having been trying to install the Nvidia Linux drivers on my Mandrake 8.1 system. I have found several posts about doing this with mdk9.x here and on other boards but I am not having any luck with any of that help on my mdk8.1 system.

After my first install it was running KDE just fine and in 1280x1024. I am not sure what driver it was using I think it was 'nv' but I am not sure because of the 2 XF86Config files I could not figure out which it was using cause there was no XFree86.0.log.

Then after some more exploring I figured out it was using XF86Config-4. But something I did in the process of trying to figure that out caused a problem cause I exited out of xwindows. And with out chaning anything yet I was unable to go back it. It was telling me that there was no "suitable screens" to startx with.

So I then tried averything I could to edit the XF86Config-4 to try and get things working. I was never able to get the Nvidia drivers to work. I tried the .run version and the .rpm version. I have not tried doing tarballs yet because nvidia says the .run is the same as the .tars.

I could not get them to work, nor can I seem to get the 'nv' driver to work again. The only way I can seem to get X to run is with the 'vesa' driver and that will only go to 640x480 with a virtual desk of 1024x768.

Can anyone help? Is there anyway I can get mdk8.1 setup with an nvidia driver and GLX? Or am I going to have to wait until I can upgrade to 9.x? I want to upgrade to 9.1 but with each ISO estimating 4+hours to download I am not going to be doing it soon. I have tried to download them but have been unsuccessful so far. My Rural DSL connection is somewhat schetchy and it is rare that I have a solid connection for 4+ hours. I may go and see if I can find the mdk9.x magazine cover cd sometime soon though.

Anyway if anyone can help me with this I would be most thankful.
Old 05-21-03, 08:26 AM   #2
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

try ldconfig after uninstalling to get nv driver to work again.

post the config file and log file with which you get the unusable configuration...

probably some frequency settings...