Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-07, 04:18 PM   #1
DiscipleDOC

Default Building a shopping cart

I am looking into building a web page to accept credit cards and paypal accounts. I want to be able to itemize things so that a customer can insert items into a shopping cart. Are there any "howto's" on getting this up and running? Thanks for the help.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 04:26 PM   #2
superklye

Default Re: Building a shopping cart

If you want, I can just do it for you.

My prices start at $10,000 USD
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 06:39 PM   #3
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
If you want, I can just do it for you.

My prices start at $10,000 USD
You're just trying to get enough money to buy Venturi's pc!
Old 05-22-07, 11:11 PM   #4
ViN86

the way i would do it... (cheap and quick, like Gib's mom )

1. MySQL database to store info on products
2. PHP front to display data, and you can store the cart contents in either a cookie or in a session variable

idk how to make the credit card/paypal thing... sorry
im just learing MySQL and PHP, so feel free to check out my thread in here for some noob mistakes and info. also, ill probably be posting my code eventually to prevent malicious scripts from being run.

gl. also, what is this for? (if you dont mind me askin)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 11:40 PM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

You can use sessions to store basic information of logged in users with accounts and a MySQL db for storing cart data. Its been so long since I made my first (and only) primitive cart. I learned the concept from macromedias site had little tutorials on stuff. It might still be laying around somewhere on adobes site. I think it was called "persistant shopping cart", but i modified it to not use cookies.

You may also want to check www.devshed.com - they have tons of PHP tutorials.

Theres also a shopping cart extension for dreamweaver if you want to go that route. Its called WA eCart; its a full featured cart.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:15 AM   #6
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
the way i would do it... (cheap and quick, like Gib's mom )

1. MySQL database to store info on products
2. PHP front to display data, and you can store the cart contents in either a cookie or in a session variable

idk how to make the credit card/paypal thing... sorry
im just learing MySQL and PHP, so feel free to check out my thread in here for some noob mistakes and info. also, ill probably be posting my code eventually to prevent malicious scripts from being run.

gl. also, what is this for? (if you dont mind me askin)
I'm going to start doing some websites for a few places, and they are going to pay me to push their product online. I want to do everything from scratch, and I need to learn some php and mySQL in order to cut down the cost of paying a programmer to do some things...
Old 05-23-07, 10:59 AM   #7
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
I'm going to start doing some websites for a few places, and they are going to pay me to push their product online. I want to do everything from scratch, and I need to learn some php and mySQL in order to cut down the cost of paying a programmer to do some things...
There are many pre-scripted php/mysql shopping carts out there. If you're only a beginning php/mysql programmer, I wouldn't recommend a shopping cart as your first project. There are many things to consider including security of all credit card transactions to and from the site. It will probably involve some type of SSL encryption to be enabled on the server for the site.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:29 AM   #8
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
There are many pre-scripted php/mysql shopping carts out there. If you're only a beginning php/mysql programmer, I wouldn't recommend a shopping cart as your first project. There are many things to consider including security of all credit card transactions to and from the site. It will probably involve some type of SSL encryption to be enabled on the server for the site.
+1

Not to mention if you're storing any customer data in the database it should be strongly encrypted and secure. Also all of your code should be very secure and not allow for CSRF, XSS, SQL inection, etc.

It's a huge undertaking and something I would even think twice about before entertaining.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-07, 02:04 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
yes. most sites that allow online credit card transactions have crazy security measures.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 02:09 PM   #10
evilghost

You'll need to be PCI (Payment Card Industry (PCI) Compliance) compliant too which is big.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org...he_pci_dss.htm
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote