Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-07, 03:29 PM   #1
Fyrehardt

Unhappy I can't switch users or play full-screen games

Hello--

The good fellows over at the ubuntu forums couldn't help me figure this out, so I've come over here to try it again...

To get my specs out of the way, I have a Compaq Presario, with a Compaq FS7600 monitor, and a Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE video card, and I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn and Nvidia driver version 1.0-9755.

I have been trying to set up a separate user account for my children, where they can play games and such without being able to do anything....stupid....to the computer. So I get their side set up, go to try to switch user....

and during the short period of time where the screen goes blank...
my monitor shuts off...
and won't turn back on...
The monitor just sits there with the amber standby light, as though the computer was already off.
and I can't do anything except turn the poor machine off and then back on again, because none of the ctrl+alt+(blank) work...

It isn't just there, either. Any time the computer has to go dark to change what's on the screen, there's a 50/50 chance it won't come back up and I'll have to turn the thing off.

The bug seems to be completely random. Earlier, I managed to get it to switch to the other user side of the computer, but as soon as the boys tried to open "Childsplay", we could hear the music, but the screen shut down. Then, it took 3 reboots before the computer would make it all the way to the splash screen without the screen shutting down en route. I'm starting to think the poor computer is possessed...

But anyway, here's my Nvidia bug report from the last time I rebooted right after it crashed on me, and a copy of my xorg.conf. I hope someone can help me before the children mutiny on me!
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (121.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: txt xorgconf.txt (4.3 KB, 65 views)
Fyrehardt is offline   Reply With Quote