Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-07, 04:35 PM   #1
glObalist
working as intended

Default My Vista keeps corrupting its filesystem

So I decided to give Vista a try, installing it on a new logical partition on my IDE harddrive.

Everything went fine, got the loader installed and could choose either WinXP (my sata drive) or Vista (IDE) or Linux (also IDE) to boot into.

The problems began when I installed the latest Forceware drivers- upon reboot it started chkdsk on the vista drive which seemed to contain lots of corrupt indexes and orphaned files which needed to be fixed.

The forcewares I found had not been really installed so I reinstalled them and tried to download some updates and directx but got some popup errors telling me the filesystem is corrupt and the disk needs to be checked.

Another install later I only got a BSOD.

Now I'm back in XP wondering whether it's really worth it to install the new OS at this point in time... Anyone know what's going on with my Vista install?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 06:39 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: My Vista keeps corrupting its filesystem

I spend the majority of my time on Vista 64 these days and it's been rock solid, for months actually.

I would check for bios updates first, maybe try a different IDE cable and possibly hdd..or are you dual booting vista and linux off the same drive?
Old 06-02-07, 07:01 PM   #3
LycosV

I've had the same problem installing XP a couple times. The times where I've had the worst problems is on large hard drives when installing XP fresh. Since the service pack addition for larger drives isn't there yet it tries to corrupt out the wazzo with chkdsk until you get the service pack.

Based on my experience with chkdsk, the only solution is to backup all your data, install the new os and let it have it's fun.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 07:33 PM   #4
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
So I decided to give Vista a try, installing it on a new logical partition on my IDE harddrive.

Everything went fine, got the loader installed and could choose either WinXP (my sata drive) or Vista (IDE) or Linux (also IDE) to boot into.

The problems began when I installed the latest Forceware drivers- upon reboot it started chkdsk on the vista drive which seemed to contain lots of corrupt indexes and orphaned files which needed to be fixed.

The forcewares I found had not been really installed so I reinstalled them and tried to download some updates and directx but got some popup errors telling me the filesystem is corrupt and the disk needs to be checked.

Another install later I only got a BSOD.

Now I'm back in XP wondering whether it's really worth it to install the new OS at this point in time... Anyone know what's going on with my Vista install?
I had a similar corruption in my Vista partition after my first reboot back into the OS. I was using Acronis Disk Director to create my partition by the way. I fixed this by doing a full format on the partition before installing the OS to it, and not just the quick one. If you are not doing that already I would give it a shot.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 04:33 AM   #5
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
I had a similar corruption in my Vista partition after my first reboot back into the OS. I was using Acronis Disk Director to create my partition by the way. I fixed this by doing a full format on the partition before installing the OS to it, and not just the quick one. If you are not doing that already I would give it a shot.
Yep, I used Acronis as well. Will give this idea a try. Thanks!
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
Old 06-03-07, 05:42 PM   #6
glObalist
working as intended

Problem solved as per Arioch's suggestion (thanks man!), although I didn't get the option to "full/quick format" the Acronis-made partition, only plain "format" during my vista install.
Quote:
Old 06-03-07, 06:24 PM   #7
Arioch

I just right-clicked on the partition in Windows to do the full format. I am glad it worked for you!
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote