Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-07, 02:44 PM   #1
=JeffH

Default "Hotkey Switching of Display Devices" -- does it work in X ?

Below's an excerpt from Appendix I of the 1.0-9755 nvidia linux driver release README, entitled "Hotkey Switching of Display Devices".

It doesn't work for me, and all thru my various xorg.conf permutations, there's been no hint of it working.

Are there any special things one has to do in order for it to work?

Also, in the same appendix (at the beginning of appendix, but reproduced at the bottom below), there is the section "Installation and configuration". What's confusing about this section are...

1. Must one set the kernel options described here?

2. The implication of (1) is "no". How does one determine whether in fact doing so is necessary?

thanks,

=JeffH

----------------------------------------
Hotkey Switching of Display Devices

Besides TwinView, mobile NVIDIA chips also have the capacity to react to an LCD/CRT hotkey event, toggling between each of the connected display devices and each possible combination of the connected display devices (note that only 2 display devices may be active at a time). TwinView as configured in your X config file and hotkey functionality are mutually exclusive -- if you enable TwinView in your X config file, then the NVIDIA X driver will ignore LCD/CRT hotkey events.

Another important aspect of hotkey functionality is that you can dynamically connect and remove display devices to/from your laptop and use the hotkey to activate and deactivate them without restarting X.

When X is started, or when a change is detected in the list of connected display devices, a new hotkey sequence list is constructed -- this lists which display devices will be used with each hotkey event. When a hotkey event occurs, the next hotkey state in the sequence is chosen. Each mode requested in the X config file is validated against each display device's constraints, and the resulting modes are made available for that display device. If multiple display devices are to be active at once, then the modes from each display device are paired together; if an exact match (same resolution) cannot be found, then the closest fit is found, and the display device with the smaller resolution is panned within the resolution of the other display device.

When switching away from X to a virtual terminal, the VGA console will always be restored to the display device on which it was present when X was started. Similarly, when switching back into X, the same display device configuration will be used as when you switched away, regardless of what LCD/CRT hotkey activity occurred while the virtual terminal was active.

-----------------------------
Installation and configuration

Installation and configuration of the NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Driver Set on a laptop is the same as for any desktop environment, with a few minor exceptions, listed below.

Starting with the 1.0-2802 release, information about the internal flat panel for use in initializing the display is by default generated on the fly from data stored in the video BIOS. This can be disabled by setting the "SoftEDIDs" kernel option to 0. If "SoftEDIDs" is turned off, then hardcoded data will be chosen from a table, based on the value of the "Mobile" kernel option.

The "Mobile" kernel option can be set to any of the following values:
Value Meaning
0xFFFFFFFF let the kernel module autodetect the correct value
1 Dell laptops
2 non-Compal Toshiba laptops
3 all other laptops
4 Compal Toshiba laptops
5 Gateway laptops

Again, the "Mobile" kernel option is only needed if SoftEDIDs is disabled; when it is used, it is usually safest to let the kernel module autodetect the correct value (this is the default behavior).

Should you need to alter either of these options, you may do so in any of the following ways:

* editing os-registry.c in the usr/src/nv/ directory of the .run file.

* setting the value on the modprobe command line (e.g.: modprobe nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=3)

* adding an "options" line to your module configuration file, usually /etc/modules.conf (e.g.: options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=5)

=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 02:59 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: "Hotkey Switching of Display Devices" -- does it work in X ?

Hi =JeffH,

I'm afraid hotkey switching is known to not work right currently. We hope to address this in a future driver release. Until then, you can create MetaModes with NULL entries to enable one display or the other and switch between them with xrandr to achieve a similar effect.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 11:23 AM   #3
=JeffH

Hi AaronP...

Quote:
I'm afraid hotkey switching is known to not work right currently.
Well, shucks, then why didn't you folks update the README appropriately? Is there a bug# entered against the README?

Quote:
you can create MetaModes with NULL entries to enable one display or the other and switch between them with xrandr to achieve a similar effect
ok, fine, thanks, I've noticed some posts discussing such -- but in your reply you could've either posted explicit instructions or supplied a link to explicit instructions.

=JeffH
Old 06-04-07, 11:29 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

=JeffH,
This issue has been discussed in the past, several times, along with very detailed documentation on how to workaround the problem. I'd encourage you to use the forum's search functionality to locate them.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 12:03 PM   #5
=JeffH

Quote:
This issue has been discussed in the past, several times, along with very detailed documentation on how to workaround the problem.
Having screen hotkey switching working on laptops is a critical use case for adoption and continued usage (of both your products and GNU/Linux in general), and I note that there are continual questions on this topic in the forum here.

Perhaps you folks should roll-up the info into a new sticky? It would be quite helpful I'm sure. Folks are obviously not stumbling across the buried past conversations and "detailed documentation", and the README is presently explicitly misleading on this topic. It would likely save you and your customers some time and anguish.

At a minimum, you could have urls pointing to the meatiest threads on the topic that you could easily cut'n'paste into your replies. (I did such when I worked in tech support)

In the meantime, yes, I certainly know how to use the search functionality, thank you, but I remain curious as to whether you folks are going to fix the broken README (on the web)? surely you could do so asynchronously from an actual driver release.

=JeffH

Old 06-04-07, 12:14 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

What is broken with the README?
Old 06-04-07, 12:22 PM   #7
=JeffH

The README (ref'd in posts above) explicitly states that "hotkey switching" is supported, but AaronP notes..

Quote:
I'm afraid hotkey switching is known to not work right currently. We hope to address this in a future driver release.

=JeffH

ps: my other questions on the section "Installation and configuration" (also in Appendix I) remain unanswered.
Old 06-04-07, 12:50 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that the README on the website will remain in sync with the README that ships with the driver.

Its not clear to me what other questions you had.

Old 06-04-07, 04:44 PM   #9
=JeffH

Quote:
I'm afraid that the README on the website will remain in sync with the README that ships with the driver.
Well, then I strongly suggest you folks put up a new "sticky" on this topic.

Quote:
Its not clear to me what other questions you had.
See msg #1 in this thread. Questions (1) and (2).

thanks,

=JeffH
Old 06-04-07, 04:51 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The answer to those questions, is that they are completely dependent on the notebook that you're using. There is no universal correct answer.
Old 06-06-07, 06:38 PM   #11
=JeffH

Quote:
The answer to those questions, is that they are completely dependent on the notebook that you're using.
Then that section (included in the first message in this thread) of Appendix I is essentially useless to anyone (besides nVidia folk, it would seem) because the README lacks enough context for someone to determine when it's appropriate to follow those guidelines, AFAICT.

Just FWIW.

=JeffH
Old 10-03-07, 06:17 PM   #12
=JeffH

AaronP said a while back...
Quote:
I'm afraid hotkey switching is known to not work right currently. We hope to address this in a future driver release.
Ok, so I've been running the 100.14.19 driver now since 28-Sep and finally got a chance to reboot without my external monitor plugged in (i.e. remembered to unplug it before rebooting ) and tested hotkey monitor switching (Fn-F8 on a Dell D820 with Quadro NVS 120m, Ubuntu 6.10).

It works. wow, cool.

Well, I've just tried it here at my office, switching between my external LCD (on CRT video cable) and the builtin lapstation LCD (aka "DFP" in xorg.conf). I didn't touch my xorg.conf file before trying this.

So, the acid test will be hotkey switching back to the builtin LCD, sleeping the system (which has been intermittently (sigh) working) and waking it up @home, plugging in my external CRT (an old Sony multiscan 21"), hotkey switching, and seeing what happens....

More news at 11 (or tomorrow).

=JeffH