Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-07, 08:04 PM   #25
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: 64 Bit Pros and Cons (Vista)

dark messiah works here, just sometimes crashes on exit
Old 05-30-07, 03:39 AM   #26
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
dark messiah works here, just sometimes crashes on exit
Have the same prob, but, all my software and hardware runs without problems, before I was using Win XP x64 and feels more faster, from my perspective
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 07:40 AM   #27
8800gtsfan
*BANNED*

Honestly there isn't much reason to have a 32 bit version of Vista. XP is so much faster anyways and more stable. I'm dual booting XP-32 and Vista X64 currently, after many dual booting incarnations with Vista 32. Vista X64 feels like a technology demo. As it's much slower, but fun to run with 6GB of RAM and actually see it all. If you are going to try Vista, might as well be 64 bit just to play with, don't use it as your 24/7 OS as I think you'll be pretty disappointed. I was. Use XP for all your gaming and Vista when you want to play, it's like using Linux with a Microsoft logo on it.

There isn't much you can do that will impress you - just gives you a chance to kick the tires LOL.

Vista will be the last 32 bit OS, as everything will move to 64 bit for Microsoft. Maybe in a few years 64 bit OS will be faster, tuned and have alot of native applications for it. It's too bad it's taken this long for our 64 bit processors to actually have an OS worth running.
8800gtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 09:59 AM   #28
radekhulan

I have never tried Vista x86, only Vista x64, so can compare only with XP (x86). Have now Vista Ultimate x64 with 4GB of RAM and quadcore CPU, and never ever want to go back (to XP x86).

I love Vista x64.

My system is running for 3 months now, without any crash, "feels" extremely fast for work / daily usage, most of the time have tens of apps opened, incluging VMWARE Player with Fedora Core 6 (virtualized full OS), and can launch Oblivion without closing anything, and it is still smooth, 3G+ RAM is being used.

Apache x64, PHP x64 and MySQL x64 (my development setup) is way faster than it was on 32-bit XP.

Also swap file usage seems very low, system is much more responsive than with XP.

Gaming is perfect as well, all these games work great: http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png (I only had to use NODVD crack on some of them, as they try to install 32-bit drivers, which obviously does not proceed under x64), HDR + CSAA works in Oblivion. Latest NVIDIA 158.43 drivers are fine, no instability, and very good performance. The only issue is not being able to force FSAA in Gothic III via nHancer, but I can live with that... I am not sure if Vista gives me less or more FPS on single 8800GTX than XP, but I do not care, as everything is playable as before at 1920x1200 with AF 16x and AA 4-8x (Oblivion runs even better, I think, all the rest "feels" the same).

Aero (3D) is also nice. It is not too flashy, it is just "right" for long-term usage.

Have purchased also Office 2007 Pro, and it is a great match for Vista. Outlook 2007 sync with my HTC TyTN (Windows Mobile 6) phone is perfect, using integrated Windows Mobile sync, integrated search of all files, emails, PDF, etc., speeds things up.

Have used all Windows versions (but never really loved Microsoft), many Linux distros, Mac OS X, OS/2, MS/DR-DOS, even CP/M 25+ years back, but couldn't be happier (with Vista x64).

I think Microsoft started making really good SW about 2 years ago. Vista, Office 2007, Live Messenger have no real competition. Windows Media Player 11, Microsoft Expression Web (competition to Adobe Dreamweaver) is very good. Live.com competes nicely with Google search for accuracy. Windows Mobile 5/6 powered phones are best on the market (about million times better comparing to forthcomming Apple dumbPhone). Windows Desktop Search is better than Google Desktop / Copernic search. They seem to do things right this time..
My websites: [url=http://hulan.cz/en][b]HULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://radekhulan.cz/][b]RADEKHULAN.cz[/b][/url], [url=http://hulan.info/][b]HULAN.info[/b][/url], [url=http://blogcms.com/][b]BLOGCMS.com[/b][/url], [url=http://www.megablog.cz/][b]MEGABLOG.cz[/b][/url] | [url=http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png][b]Games played[/b][/url] | [URL=http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.png][B]CPU-Z[/B][/URL] -- [URL="http://radekhulan.cz/img/stacker-830/stacker-830-bocnice.jpg"][B]case foto[/B][/URL][/size]
radekhulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 04:41 PM   #29
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekhulan
I have never tried Vista x86, only Vista x64, so can compare only with XP (x86). Have now Vista Ultimate x64 with 4GB of RAM and quadcore CPU, and never ever want to go back (to XP x86).

I love Vista x64.

My system is running for 3 months now, without any crash, "feels" extremely fast for work / daily usage, most of the time have tens of apps opened, incluging VMWARE Player with Fedora Core 6 (virtualized full OS), and can launch Oblivion without closing anything, and it is still smooth, 3G+ RAM is being used.

Apache x64, PHP x64 and MySQL x64 (my development setup) is way faster than it was on 32-bit XP.

Also swap file usage seems very low, system is much more responsive than with XP.

Gaming is perfect as well, all these games work great: http://hulan.cz/temp/games.png (I only had to use NODVD crack on some of them, as they try to install 32-bit drivers, which obviously does not proceed under x64), HDR + CSAA works in Oblivion. Latest NVIDIA 158.43 drivers are fine, no instability, and very good performance. The only issue is not being able to force FSAA in Gothic III via nHancer, but I can live with that... I am not sure if Vista gives me less or more FPS on single 8800GTX than XP, but I do not care, as everything is playable as before at 1920x1200 with AF 16x and AA 4-8x (Oblivion runs even better, I think, all the rest "feels" the same).

Aero (3D) is also nice. It is not too flashy, it is just "right" for long-term usage.

Have purchased also Office 2007 Pro, and it is a great match for Vista. Outlook 2007 sync with my HTC TyTN (Windows Mobile 6) phone is perfect, using integrated Windows Mobile sync, integrated search of all files, emails, PDF, etc., speeds things up.

Have used all Windows versions (but never really loved Microsoft), many Linux distros, Mac OS X, OS/2, MS/DR-DOS, even CP/M 25+ years back, but couldn't be happier (with Vista x64).

I think Microsoft started making really good SW about 2 years ago. Vista, Office 2007, Live Messenger have no real competition. Windows Media Player 11, Microsoft Expression Web (competition to Adobe Dreamweaver) is very good. Live.com competes nicely with Google search for accuracy. Windows Mobile 5/6 powered phones are best on the market (about million times better comparing to forthcomming Apple dumbPhone). Windows Desktop Search is better than Google Desktop / Copernic search. They seem to do things right this time..
For once... you and I agree whole-heartedly on something. Vista is the only OS on my machine. And it is probably going to stay that way. Once I finish completing my "secondary" rig, I'm going to have Vista and Kubuntu on that computer. But for my primary it is a Vista-only PC.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 05:52 PM   #30
Lith1um

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR
Im using x64 ultimate, i had one problem so far and that was with BF2 & BF2142, i was getting a memory.dll error and pretty bad lagg, i got around this by installing and running the game in compatibility mode for windows xp(sp2) i also ran the latest update in compatibility mode for windows xp(sp2)!.... all you have to do is d/load the x64 drivers ... its 10x better than the xp x64 support. oh and another thing .. AVG free edition does not work with vista x64(you would have to buy it) ... im using Avast! Home Edition(free) its just as good as if not better than AVG! i also needed newer version of nero but ive got that sorted now also & had to install adobe reader in compatibility mode for windows xp(sp2) and it works fine .... i love this version of vista and would never go back to 32bit version.

(Ive uploaded a attachment of all the programs i use that work fine on my x64 ultimate)
I got those same .dll errors and even more problems with BF2. All I did was remove my 2x1gb Corsair Dominator 8500's and replace them with 2x2gb Gskill pc3200 sticks.

Previously I'd tried every tweak I could find and every combination of drivers, timings, and voltages that I could logicaly deduce. I can only run stable with 158.18 and anything newer is crash/Bsod city.

I didn't have to instal or run BF2 in compatibility mode, I have UAC disabled.

My system,

Vista Ultimate 64bit
E6600 @ 3.2ghz (nautilus 500)
2 x 2gb Gskill 3200
Evga 8800gtx - 158.18
Evga 680i - P28 bios (because it's the first bios to contain the Intel microcode update)
xfi gamer- Youp-Pax 2007 (still waiting on proper support from creative)
Pc power and cooling Silencer 750 Quad

On a related note, BF2 Project Reality. I was playing Al Basrah and alt-tabbed out to find 2.39gb of physical memory useage. Before the change to 4gb that map usualy crashed while loading or the spawn screen lagged so bad it was unplayable. BF2 (2gb vista64) was always hitting my HD when playing, with 4gb it plays the same way it did on xp/2gb and it exits back to desktop instantly when you quit.

I play at 16x12x32 16xAF 8xQ AA everything maxed in BF2, all nvidia optimizations disabled in the cp. CRT, 100hz, Vsync enabled, tripple buffering. The FPS stays pegged at 100. Compared to normal BF2, PR is a resource hog where mem is concerned.

Vista 64bit is the only O.S. I use now. With the exception of my xfi all of my hardware has decent drivers. There is room to improve, but Im stable and fast. Creative isn't bringing much to the table with software or driver support, I use the Youp-pax 2007 package and everthing I need is working perfectly. BF2 works well with ultra high settings using Cmss-3d Headphone.

Adobe needs to release a 64bit IE compatible flashplayer.

I was wrong about vista. The more i use it the more I like it. With 4gb Vu64bit flies. I am encouraged by Nvidia's progress, and I think they will make some decent progress over the next month.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 08:09 PM   #31
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

I think I am going to buy another 400gig HD and just install 64bit Vista on it and duel boot with my 32bit Vista and give this puppy a try. Also going to pick up some more ram I think sense its so cheap anyway
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 04:49 AM   #32
Jon

Installed Vista 64 at the weekend... am now tri-booting? XP, Vista 32, Vista 64.

First thing I noticed is the difference in memory usage. V32 sees 3.25gb, caches round about 1.8gb and just under a gig free. Where V64 sees the whole 4gig and caches the lot of it! I believe this is why the OS feels a bit snappier.

I had no problems finding drivers for any of my hardware, although as previously mentioned, the xfi drivers are basic (but thats the same as 32 anyway!).

I've generally found that if it works in Vista 32 it works in Vista 64. However some games I did have to run in Windows XP compatibility to get them to work in V64. Maybe cause they get scared when outside of the 2gb memory model?

I'm going to remove Vista 32 in the next couple of weeks. From my experience I think that Vista 64 is the one to go for if you have 4gb or more ram. Otherwise I see no advantage over Vista 32.

Performance wise, I haven't been keeping benchmarks... but I've been playing Rainbow 6 Vegas and Company of heroes with the new DX10 patch in Vista 64 and they play great.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-07, 09:56 AM   #33
motopen1s

Send a message via ICQ to motopen1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
2. In Vista x64, any driver that is not properly signed will not be able to enter the kernel and will fail to load.

WRONG, it can be disabled

Nekrosoft13, which method do you use?

1) "Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING OFF" or "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON" command

2) Option in 'VistaBootPro', that allows to disable vista driver signing

3) Sign drivers yourself(?) (dont know - maybe in some cases it is needed)

4) Some other method or combination of these?

I am getting Vista x64, so in ~two weeks will be using it. I wonder which method would you (and other x64 users) recommend. (I've read at some place that "testsigning off command" doesnt work sometimes?)

thanks
Optical Drive: LG Electronics GGC-H20L HDD: 2x VelociRaptor 150GB + 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB
Sound: Auzen X-Fi Prelude -> SM Pro Audio Nano Patch Speakers: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Shure SE530
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 w/ 7x S-Flex SFF21F fans Monitor: NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3
motopen1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 11:19 AM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopen1s
Nekrosoft13, which method do you use?

1) "Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING OFF" or "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON" command

2) Option in 'VistaBootPro', that allows to disable vista driver signing

3) Sign drivers yourself(?) (dont know - maybe in some cases it is needed)

4) Some other method or combination of these?

I am getting Vista x64, so in ~two weeks will be using it. I wonder which method would you (and other x64 users) recommend. (I've read at some place that "testsigning off command" doesnt work sometimes?)

thanks
i don't know how excactly its done, but rivatuner did it for me

installed rivatuner, and asked me to disable driver signing, and never had the problem again
Old 06-04-07, 01:11 PM   #35
motopen1s

Send a message via ICQ to motopen1s

cool, thanks

Since rivatuner will be one of the first in the list anyway - then I just try to start with that ...
Optical Drive: LG Electronics GGC-H20L HDD: 2x VelociRaptor 150GB + 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB
Sound: Auzen X-Fi Prelude -> SM Pro Audio Nano Patch Speakers: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Shure SE530
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 w/ 7x S-Flex SFF21F fans Monitor: NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3
motopen1s is offline   Reply With Quote