Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-07, 12:16 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
You know, I looked around after I started playing around with Ubuntu just to see what the difference was and really, there's not one. There's the same Window Managers, just different packages pre-installed. I'm sure there are a lot of other things different, but I'm not a Linux guru. So . . . yeah.
I had to dl and reburn Ubuntu. PClinuxOS is coming along very nicely, texstar is doing a great job over there, but it's based on mandrake..or mandriva, not sure what they call it now. And I have a love/hate relationship with mandrake from way back.

Besides, I much prefer debs over rpm based pkg management.
Old 06-01-07, 10:59 PM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I had to dl and reburn Ubuntu. PClinuxOS is coming along very nicely, texstar is doing a great job over there, but it's based on mandrake..or mandriva, not sure what they call it now. And I have a love/hate relationship with mandrake from way back.

Besides, I much prefer debs over rpm based pkg management.
I haven't really dealt with Mandrake that much but Ubuntu suits my needs, works really well. I've experimented with Wine and a few other fun things with Ubuntu, but finally just re-installed for the last time.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 06:37 AM   #15
grey_1

Quote:
I haven't really dealt with Mandrake that much but Ubuntu suits my needs, works really well. I've experimented with Wine and a few other fun things with Ubuntu, but finally just re-installed for the last time.
Lol, that's what I say Every time!
Old 06-02-07, 10:45 AM   #16
six_storm

Quote:
Lol, that's what I say Every time!
Haha! Yeah, I'm still learning things in Linux and usually when I try to do anything with Nvidia drivers or Wine, X gets screwed up (even though I use my xorg.conf.backup) and I have to reinstall. Fortunatly, it doesn't take all day to re-install so it's not that big of a problem.

Do you use Gnome or KDE? Got any personal preferences?
Old 06-02-07, 11:14 AM   #17
grey_1

Gnome here. Menu management, available packages and over all performance just seem more robust, more intuitively layed out and much snappier to me. I also have never (not since fc2 days..I should say) had Gnome crash on me. I played with the last 3 versions of KDE and while it's coming along nicely, I always, always wind up with some type of crash.

I also played with Enlightenment for a long time. That's a desktop that has a seriously kick-ass WOW factor if set up properly, but it can drive you crazy configuring it.

As far as the NV drivers, I figured out what I was doing wrong, and the last 2 installs were quick and painless..kudos to nv for great support.
Old 06-02-07, 07:26 PM   #18
six_storm

Quote:
Gnome here. Menu management, available packages and over all performance just seem more robust, more intuitively layed out and much snappier to me. I also have never (not since fc2 days..I should say) had Gnome crash on me. I played with the last 3 versions of KDE and while it's coming along nicely, I always, always wind up with some type of crash.

I also played with Enlightenment for a long time. That's a desktop that has a seriously kick-ass WOW factor if set up properly, but it can drive you crazy configuring it.

As far as the NV drivers, I figured out what I was doing wrong, and the last 2 installs were quick and painless..kudos to nv for great support.
KDE is just weird to me, it also takes more hardware resources. Even configured to my likings, I still never got used to it and all the "K's". K this, K that. Gnome has just always been better. I thought I had installed Enlightenment at one point but never fooled around with it. Oh well. Installing NV drivers for me for any version of Ubuntu pre-7.04 has been easy. However with the latest version, it wants to install it's own NV drivers and nothing else. Oh well.
Old 06-02-07, 08:00 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
KDE is just weird to me, it also takes more hardware resources. Even configured to my likings, I still never got used to it and all the "K's". K this, K that. Gnome has just always been better. I thought I had installed Enlightenment at one point but never fooled around with it. Oh well. Installing NV drivers for me for any version of Ubuntu pre-7.04 has been easy. However with the latest version, it wants to install it's own NV drivers and nothing else. Oh well.
100% agreed on KDE.

I just pm'd tis to someone else, worked perfect for me every time now on 32bit 7.04.
Quote:
I never could get the 64bit to work, but I'm on 32bit now running sweet.

a.) Dl the alternate install cd
b.) Install using vga and noapci
c.) sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
d.) Verufy the following packages are installed:

- make
-gcc
-linux-headers for your kernel. Do 'uname -r' minus quotes.
-pkg-caonfig
-xserver-xorg-dev
e.) Sudo apt-get remove nvidia-glx --purge
f.) sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel
g.) sudo nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common.

Change DISABLED_MODULES="" to DISABLED_MODULES="nv" save and exit.

Dl the 9755s. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-9755.html

save them to where you like, do ctrl+alt+F1, then log in and do
'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop'

The last bit will be /kdm stop if you use KDE.

sudo sh NVIDIA_name_of_pkg...

Run nvidia xorg-config when it asks you, reboot and enjoy.
Maybe this will help??
Old 06-03-07, 07:15 AM   #20
grey_1

Just an update...This is sweet.

Old 06-04-07, 07:45 PM   #21
six_storm

Looks awesome man! Here's mine:

Nothing special, I really haven't had much time to customize it since I've been playing Halo 2 and Castlevania:SOTN. Hope to customize soon!
Old 06-04-07, 07:54 PM   #22
grey_1

I had to google Castlevania. I thought it was a Doom mod.

Let me know if you get that beryl 'black window' bug. I just had to get rid of it, first time I've seen it but annoying as it gets. I thought my gfx card died.

Looks good though, I'd like to see it after you polish it up a bit.