Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-07, 05:05 PM   #49
chaos.theorist

Default Re: M1710 Console Issues w/Nvidia Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.Scalio
I have opened a ticket with Dell via a vendor contract as the company I work for has bought 100 XPSM1710s and has the same issues on all of them, and everytime we contact nvidia they refuse to address the issue

If I get anything back from Dell I will let you guys know

PLEASE do - this is a major annoyance for a lot of people. one of the reasons i purchased an nvidia equipped notebook was for their linux-friendly reputation. however, this doesn't seem to be the case after all...
chaos.theorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 10:08 PM   #50
eusanpe

Wow! I started this thread on Jan 15 and still nothing.

Netllama, why are you concerned about who Brad talked to with Nvidia? Nothing was done from that person and nothing has been done by you either. I am sorry that you say that you couldn't duplicate the issue but someone can but they wont. Brad's company purchased 100 of these and the same issue. A 100 laptops and 100 problems identical to mine. I can't believe that nothing has been done to this date. Why wouldn't Nvidia purchase a brand new M1710 like we have just to fix the issue? This has been lingering for a few months now. I purchased my laptop in November so it has been at least five months.

Why hasn't it been resolved and why is there no concern by Nvidia?
eusanpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-07, 04:49 AM   #51
ofourdan

Things are even worse when using Fedora. Until now, I've experienced the problem with Debian and Ubuntu, with both stock kernels and vanilla kernels.

I recently switched to Fedora and Fedora boots in graphical mode, which means that the X server is started at first during boot, then restarted when gdm comes up.

Since killing the X server causes not only the console corruption, but a total freeze of the system, it means that booting Fedora with nVidia proprietary driver leads to a 100% total system freeze even before the login screen appears!

I tried to disable the Red Hat graphical boot (ie remobe "rhgb" from grub kernel boot-up command), that indeed avoids starting the X server twice, and therefore allows the boot process to complete.

Unfortunately, Fedora stop and restart the X server when the user log out (this is to avoid memory leaks, I guess), and that leads to another system freeze when the user logs out...

I believe this should be seen as a major issue. It is, at least for me, since it makes the nVidia proprietary driver unusable. I'm using the "nv" driver now, and it works. But what's the point in buying expensive high end graphical cards if it cannot be used to its full capability?
ofourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 05:45 PM   #52
ofourdan

Smile Re: M1710 Console Issues w/Nvidia Driver

FYI, it seems I cannot reproduce the problem with the newer beta driver version 100.14.03
Looks like it's fixed
Old 05-25-07, 10:35 AM   #53
adyp2003

Hi All,

I recently bought a M1710 with 7950GTX and, like everyone else, I didn't manage to install the nvidia driver on ubuntu 7.04.

Did someone find a solution for this annoying problem? It's kind of sucky to use a 1900x1200 screen in 1024x768...
I bought this laptop for the well known compatibility of linux with nvidia video cards, but I'm a little bit disappointed now...

To be more specific, my problem is that after I install the nvidia drivers and I try to shutdown the computer, the X gets corrupted and the shutdown screen is badly displayed (random colored pixels all over the screen, image shifted with ~10cm to the right).
After that, the next time when I try to boot the PC, it doesn't enter X because of driver problems and I must edit xorg.conf and use the "nv" driver.

If anyone can help, please...
Thanks in advance!

Let me finish with a line from the old good hollywood movies:
"Somebody help me, please!" =))
adyp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 10:55 AM   #54
ofourdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyp2003
I recently bought a M1710 with 7950GTX and, like everyone else, I didn't manage to install the nvidia driver on ubuntu 7.04.
Humm, the driver installs just fine. So it's probably a different problem you're facing.

Quote:
Did someone find a solution for this annoying problem? It's kind of sucky to use a 1900x1200 screen in 1024x768...
I bought this laptop for the well known compatibility of linux with nvidia video cards, but I'm a little bit disappointed now...
Well, I can assure you that both the "nv" (open source) and "nvidia" (closed source) drivers support the 1920x1200 screen without problem.

Quote:
To be more specific, my problem is that after I install the nvidia drivers and I try to shutdown the computer, the X gets corrupted and the shutdown screen is badly displayed (random colored pixels all over the screen, image shifted with ~10cm to the right).
After that, the next time when I try to boot the PC, it doesn't enter X because of driver problems and I must edit xorg.conf and use the "nv" driver.
That's different problems. The driver crashes when the X server terminates but that doesn't prevent the system from restarting properly. That seems to be fixed with the beta driver 100.14.03, but Ubuntu doesn't ship that version (which is still a beta).

Now regarding the fact that the driver won't reload after a reboot, make sure that you don't mix the Ubuntu "nvidia" package with the NVidia "standard" installer because they won't mix. This is because the Ubuntu package of the "nvidia" driver adds some boot-up script that change the links and that breaks when the driver was installer using NVidia installer.

Quote:
If anyone can help, please...
Thanks in advance!
Of course, a log of the problem always helps, so all I wrote here about your driver not starting after a reboot is just a rough guess based on my own experience.

Quote:
Let me finish with a line from the old good hollywood movies:
"Somebody help me, please!" =))
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Olivier.
Old 05-25-07, 09:37 PM   #55
adyp2003

Thanks for your help, ofourdan!

I still didn't convince the beast to run on nvidia... I tried with 1.0-9755 and 100.14.03.

Your post made me dig a little bit more and I have "unlocked" the 1920x1200 resolution using nv driver. The thing that I done was to manually add this resolution to the supported list from xorg.conf. After that, I verrified the Screen Resolution graphic utility and it was showing a huge list of supported resolutions (the old max res. was 1024x768).

My problem is 95% solved. I got what I wanted: 1920x1200. I won't play games on ubuntu, so everything is just perfect for me at this moment.

Thank you very much for your help!

I'm currious, does the nvidia driver act much better in games than the nv one?

Best regards,
Adrian
adyp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 07:22 PM   #56
incripshin

Quote:
I'm currious, does the nvidia driver act much better in games than the nv one?
Yes. Both are developed by nVidia, nv is an open-source 2d driver, and nvidia is the closed-source 3d driver. But if you're playing a 2d game like Starcraft ... I'm not sure.

I'm relieved to find out that there isn't something horribly wrong with my laptop. Still, this problem really should be addressed by nVidia. I would like to go back to the terminal sometimes. And recently, my Gentoo tries to switch from GDM to one of the terminals at boot time, and I don't know why. <sigh>
incripshin is offline   Reply With Quote