Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-07, 03:35 AM   #1
NTwoO

Default GLX segfaults. X won't load GLX libs [oops still open]

System:Athlon XP 2000 with K7s5a mb.
GeForce2 MX 400 card
Latest Gentoo distro with 2.6.20 kernel

After trying various distros in the past 10 odd years, I decided to give Gentoo a bash.
I installed all the components of the Gentoo installation. I also installed the gentoo nvidia legacy drivers. Some applications failed to run (wine and some others) with the driver. The X server would die. This problem was one I saw with my previous distro and the NVidia drivers. That time, an upgrade fixed the system. Now I upgraded the kernel driver to the latest legacy driver and glx fails to work. Applications like amarok, googleearth, glxgears, give seg faults.

Upgrading also went with bumps and grinds. The NVIDIAXXXXXXXXX.pkg1.run failed to run producing an error

"Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 1.0-9639............
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639-pkg1.run: line 940: ./nvidia-installer: Permission denied"

After manual extraction, the driver could be installed.

When the GLX module is disabled in the Xorg.conf, then the server will start. If the it is enabled, however, the X server fails to start when printing the info message "(II) Initializing GLX"

Xorg.o.log and bug report attached. The bug report is for the system without glx in the xorg.conf. The Xorg.0.log is the crash startup with glx in xorg.conf
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nv.tar.bz2 (19.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by NTwoO; 06-07-07 at 03:58 PM.
NTwoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 01:27 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GLX segfaults. X won't load GLX libs

Its not clear from the bug report how you installed the driver, however, if you're getting "Permission denied" errors, I'd recommend investigating and resolving them first, as there's potentially a much bigger problem on your system.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 04:11 PM   #3
NTwoO

I checked out some Gentoo forum threads. Similar problems found there.

Doing some Gentoo hayraking, I managed to convince my distro to use the gentoo-untested 9631 driver of NVIDIA. This was installed after removing 9639. GLX is not fully flying yet, but the segfaults are gone. That gives more trust in libGL. Sorting the GLX should be doable.
Old 06-07-07, 03:57 PM   #4
NTwoO

I checked the error log again and noticed that the X drivers all say: compiled for 7.2.0 and the Nvidia driver says: compiled for 4.0.2

Is this a possibility? A rollback to 9631 didn't solve my problem. The Libs skip crashing though. The 9631 won't load the NVidia GLX driver but the opengl one will.
Old 06-07-07, 04:05 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The difference in versions is not (a) the problem. If you'd like further assistance, you'll need to install the driver correctly, and then generate and provide a new nvidia-bug-report.log.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote