Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-07, 10:16 PM   #1
drocra

Default Module problems installing ANY legacy driver on my Geforce4 MX on-board card

Hey everyone. I've been having some major issues trying to install nvidia legacy drivers. My card is a Geforce4 MX on-board, I'm not exactly sure of the model, but I know it's an NV18 from lspci. A little backstory: I've been running nvidia beta drivers with no problem up until recently. Then, I rebooted and they were horrendously broken. I've spent two days since then desperately trying to find out what went wrong. Here's what's happening:

I started with a clean install of Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. I updated all packages that needed it (no backport packages). I uninstalled linux-restricted-modules* and any nvidia* packages, because according to assorted guides (and experience from trying to install it before) these caused kernel module / x module mismatches.

I installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639 driver. It compiled without complaint. However, when I started X with "nvidia" instead of "nv", I got the following error:

/sbin/lrm-video: not found, fatal crash, blah blah blah.

I followed the advice of this comment:
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03.../#comment-2907

And commented out the "install nvidia /sbin/lrm-video nvidia $CMDLINE_OPTS" line in /etc/modprobe.d/lrm-video:

Quote:
# Make nvidia/nvidia_legacy and fglrx use /sbin/lrm-video to load
install fglrx /sbin/lrm-video fglrx $CMDLINE_OPTS
#install nvidia /sbin/lrm-video nvidia $CMDLINE_OPTS
install nvidia_legacy /sbin/lrm-video nvidia_legacy $CMDLINE_OPTS
install nvidia_new /sbin/lrm-video nvidia_new $CMDLINE_OPTS
I'm not sure whether commenting out this line has caused some of my problems. Any ideas?

I then attempted to start X. I got another error - "FATAL: Module nvidia not found." Okay, whatever. I edited /etc/modules and added nvidia. I also deleted /lib/modules/`uname -r`/video/nvidia*. I then recompiled the driver.

When compiling, I got the error "Unable to create /lib/modules/2.6.20-12-generic/volatile/nvidia.ko for copying (no such file or directory)". It also said it was unable to restore the file. I didn't realize it at the time, but I now think this is strange - I was running the 2.6.20-16 kernel at the time.

I rebooted my computer and X still wouldn't start.

Anyways, to make a loooong story a little less long, I eventually figured out that I could get X working with the nvidia driver - but it would stop working if I rebooted. If I booted into another kernel, I could reinstall the driver there, and it would work perfectly - until I rebooted. Then I'd have to switch kernels, recompile, etc...

I'm guessing this is a module loading problem. The question is, how do I fix it? All of the how-tos I've read have stated that if it works and then breaks on bootup, your problem is most likely that you have old packages installed. But I don't!

By the way, before I did a clean install out of frustration, I tried many assorted drivers (a patched 8776, 7185, 7186). They were all doing the same thing.

I've attached a copy of my nvidia-installer log. Any help would be very, very much appreciated, as I've already lost way too many hours of my life to this problem.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (23.5 KB, 75 views)
drocra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 10:44 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Module problems installing ANY legacy driver on my Geforce4 MX on-board card

This is covered in the forum's sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 10:50 PM   #3
drocra

Default Re: Module problems installing ANY legacy driver on my Geforce4 MX on-board card

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
This is covered in the forum's sticky posts.

Can you point me towards a specific one? Is it in a forum other than this one?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

Or is that the one you're referring to? Because I've tried everything there and it hasn't worked.
Old 06-06-07, 11:15 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

That's the one. You need to make sure that all of Ubuntu's scripts are gone if you're going to use the .run installer. If you can't figure out how to get rid of all of it, you should seek help through Ubuntu's community.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 11:25 PM   #5
drocra

That was sort of the point of doing a clean install.
linux-restricted-modules-common and nvidia-kernel-common were the only packages installed by default. I uninstalled both of those using the --purge option. There is absolutely nothing else on my system starting with linux-restricted* or nvi*. Was that not enough?

As far as I know, those were the only packages relating to nvidia on my system before I ran the driver installation.

Also, what's the deal with only being able to have the driver installed on one kernel at a time? If I install it on one, it apparently uninstalls it on the other. Is this a "feature", or a bug? (the error message I get, if you're wondering, is "Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.20-12-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko, no such file". It gives me the same one, only switched to 2.6.20-16, if I have it installed on the other kernel).
Old 06-07-07, 06:45 PM   #6
ubuntu-user

See if this helps you:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&postcount=10
Worked for me.

PS: Stick to the docs and you'll be fine. And while we are at it, please, tell us if you got any of the problems described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/85449
ubuntu-user is offline   Reply With Quote