Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-07, 01:42 AM   #1
gravies

Default Asus M2NPV-VM DVI->HDMI Lower screen flicker

I have a Panasonic TX-23LXD60 LCD Television hooked up to an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard that has onboard GeForce 6150. When connecting to a regular LCD there are no problems but with the TV connected via a DVI->HDMI cable the lower part of the screen appears to flicker or wobble up and down by about 2-3 pixels. Imagine that someone took your window and stretched it downwards by 3 pixels and then up again. This happens rhythmically with a period of about 2 frames per second for 3 seconds and then there is a brief pause. You can only see it where there is contrast, like around text, and with solid blocks of color there is nothing visible.

I have no problems with the VESA driver using the same cable and TV.

When the TV is connected using the same cable to machine with an eVGA nVidia AGP GeForce 6800 there are no problems at all using the same xorg.conf.

I am using the 100.14.09 linux x86 driver with Ubuntu Feisty with the latest BIOS for the motherboard. AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, Corsair DDR2 800 RAM 1Gb.

I have tried various resolutions and modeline settings but all give the same flicker with the DVI->HDMI cable. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the S-VIDEO output but this is obviously inferior to HDMI.

I'd like to know if you think this is a hardware problem with this motherboard or if there is a bug with the Linux drivers, or if I need to play with the timings / xorg settings further.

Thanks!
gravies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 11:01 PM   #2
NuggyBuggy

Default Re: Asus M2NPV-VM DVI->HDMI Lower screen flicker

I just setup a box with the same motherboard, and also connected it with a DVI->HDMI cable to my set (a Bravia 46" XBR2). The image on bootup (no working OS yet) seems to be a little too big to fit on my screen - I lose a bit of the top and bottom of the screen, and I can't see a way to adjust the sizing, either from the BIOS or my set. Scan problem on our sets ? Weirder, when booting a Linux (Mythdora) installer, while in text mode the display occupies only the middle 2/3 or so of the screen, but characters in the left portion of this window appear to be cut off. Neither problem occured while connected to my LCD monitor (DVI->DVI).

Once the Mythdora installer has gotten to the GUI, I get a garbage screen with a visible mouse pointer, and the system seems to be dead. Sometimes the mouse moves and sometimes it does not. It's a little weird since apparently this setup seems to be quite popular for Linux.

EDIT: Solved the latter garbage problem by updating to the latest BIOS (0901 IIRC ?). Not sure if it fixes the first problems - updated the BIOS away from the LCD and didn't have time to drag the machine back up to my LCD.
NuggyBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote