Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-07, 02:02 PM   #13
superklye

Default Re: I guess I'm a tad confused (regarding lossless audio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis
I thought maybe the codecs allowed for some more advanced way to encode the surround sound or something like that . . .just wondering if I am really losing out being 5.1 verses 7.1.
As far as I know, nothing is encoded at 7.1. Any 6.1 or 7.1 mixes are simply 5.1 sources emulated to be 6.1/7.1.

Personally, I think anything higher than 5.1 is a waste, but whatev.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 03:27 PM   #14
evilchris

LotR will be the first movies with discrete 7.1 I hear.

DTS ES Discrete also is "true" 6.1 but very few DVD's have it.

7.1 is the **** if you can use it effectively in your room. I apply Dolby PLIIx Cinema to all signals which matrices the back surrounds.
Old 06-08-07, 03:48 PM   #15
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
LotR will be the first movies with discrete 7.1 I hear.

DTS ES Discrete also is "true" 6.1 but very few DVD's have it.

7.1 is the **** if you can use it effectively in your room. I apply Dolby PLIIx Cinema to all signals which matrices the back surrounds.
But you don't anything, remember?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 03:49 PM   #16
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
But you don't anything, remember?
Yeah... I need PS3 fanboys to set me straight, they're real up on this whole HD thing!
Old 06-09-07, 12:45 AM   #17
Rakeesh

Personally I am only interested in 6.1, and for gaming only. Surround is supposed to add ambiance to movies, and isn't really supposed to draw attention from what is being seen on the screen, otherwise it can be somewhat distracting. For that, 5.1 is sufficient IMO.

Games are a different story. With games you need to be able to use the surround speakers to be able to pinpoint the location of the sound, and it should have every bit of clarity in the rear as it does in the front. That said, IMO, it would probably be best to have a front left and right, with a center tweeter, and have the same configuration for the rear. While it could be beneficial to have some far rear speakers, you'd still want that tweeter in there somewhere IMO, pushing for an 8.1 setup if such a thing existed.

Unfortunately for us HT users, DDL doesn't do 6.1. Hopefully the Auzentech Prelude will include DTS support. (sounds like the developers are still undecided on that one)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 03:09 PM   #18
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainSyris
Ever heard of dialogue normalization problems on the Dolby TrueHD audio tracks on HD DVD's released by WB so far?

Kinda surprised he didn't bring it up. Why would that be, Ruin?
Because Ruined actually knows what dialogue normalization is, as opposed to someone who is simply reading threads by Sony insiders and Blu-Ray fanboys on AVSFORUM then pretending to know something about home theater.

Ruined knows that it is not a "problem" and is actually a feature of Dolby Digital that has zero impact on the soundtrack other than the overall volume level. To give dialnorm some headroom the overall master reference volume level of a flick is generally reduced by about 4db. This has no impact on dynamic range and can be compensated for by, you guessed it, turning your receiver's volume knob up by 4db.

All dialnorm does is raise or lower the master volume of a flick dynamically so that you don't have to change your volume setting between HD DVDs. It can also be disabled on your HD DVD player/decoder if you don't like that feature.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote