Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-07, 02:26 PM   #1
protasnb

Default Keyboard hangs

Hi,
We have keyboard hangs running on workstations with NVIDIA chipset under Ubuntu. The keyboard gets unresponsive and it takes "double pressure" to get a key displayed. This can only recover after restarting windows manager, or maybe after long period of time (I saw my system getting back to normal after I left it overnight). I am not sure if this only happens with NVIDIA chipsets, but I'd like to ask what the following messages mean (I always find those in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when the problem happens):
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
SetGrabKeysState - disabled

Thanks,
--Natalie
protasnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 02:30 PM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: Keyboard hangs

Hi,

one thing you could check:
the next time your keyboard hangs, switch to a vt ('console') and try, if the keyboard hangs there too. If yes, it is something with your keyboard, if no, it is something with X/the nvidia driver.

'But how do I switch to a vt without keyboard' you might ask?

Easy. Install the acpi-daemon (acpid) and let it run (I don't know how ubuntus init work - but it should be in the docu - or it might even run always after you installed it), and have this in /etc/acpi/events/default :
event=.*
action=chvt 2

the next time they keyboard stops working, just hit the power button (short!) and you are on vt2 (the same you would get with ctrl+alt+F2).
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 02:38 PM   #3
protasnb

Yes, the keyboard is just fine on the non-graphical virtual terminals. It takes pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 real hard but gets me to the console, and I can type there (and use it in particular to restart Xorg with "/etc/init.d/gdm restart"...)
Thanks,
--Natalie
Old 06-09-07, 05:01 PM   #4
energyman76b

lucky you.

I have the same problem. Sometimes - usually when typing a lots of text pretty fast, they keyboard is suddenly completly dead. I can press any key I want, nothing happens. When I switch to vt with the powerbutton method, the keyboard works. Back to X, keyboard is dead.

If I restart X, like when logging out, the keyboard starts to work again.

This started a couple of weeks ago - and I have no clue about the cause of this problem...
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 01:40 AM   #5
protasnb

Exactly. I can also implicate lots of memory intensive things like firefox, builds etc. will exacerbate and make it happen faster. But yes! typing a lot and fast really seems to trigger this. I hope someone who wrote nvidia libraries can hint where the message is coming from, maybe it will help in diagnostics of the problem. It must be in the nvidia and kernel keyboard drivers and how they interact.
Old 06-10-07, 01:44 AM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The SetGrabKeysState messages definitely aren't coming from the graphics driver. I would suggest trying it with the nv or vesa drivers.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 03:44 AM   #7
protasnb

Yes, thanks! that sounds like next thing to try: I will switch my system to nv. Just tracked the message a bit on my system, and it comes either from Xorg, or the gnome screensaver, or the screen lock. It looks like the messages simply displayed every time my screen locks and it probably has nothing to do with the keyboard getting out of whack...hmm maybe it does? Well I will also disable the screen lock and then ... move on to the Xorg mailing list
Thanks guys!
--Natalie
Old 06-10-07, 01:36 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...f86misc.c#l471
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-07, 02:56 AM   #9
Poprocks

I actually have a Radeon 9250, and I'm using the standard Xorg "radeon" driver with it. DRI is enabled. I'm having exactly the same problem. The keyboard gets set to a ridiculously high delay rate, and you have to hold the key down for a couple seconds before it registers.

I'm also getting the same repeated line in my Xorg.0.log.

Also, see this Debian bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=374026

I tried applying that patch to my xorg server, but it had actually already been committed upstream prior to the version I have (1.2.0), so it showed as "previously applied." I'm really stumped, but I have no idea how to solve this issue. I think I'll file an xorg bug and reference this forum and the Debian bug report, but tell them that that patch didn't solve it for me.
Poprocks is offline   Reply With Quote