Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-07, 03:01 PM   #1
g-force

Unhappy i want that "nv" dummy driver because...

hello

...someone told me that the "nvidia" driver modul causes the problem , that all my terminals are effected when the xserver starting up on a text-terminal .
the problem is that all terminals get the same "out of monitor specification signal"-error and i can not even switch to a textconsole to shut the xserver down. also no hotkeys really work properly (crtl+alt+backspace for example) ,
so i have to reset my computer everytime this happens .

i am also sure that my xorg.conf file is properly edited , including the official frequency specification for my LCD-TFT . i am rather familiar with the xorg.conf-file . my presumption gets affirmed when i start an real GUI like xfce4 - everything belonging to the rendering works alright (with the selfcompiled "nvidia" 96xx drivermodul for my geforce4ti4200) .

but i get in trouble again when i try to shut down the GUI/xserver with
ctrl+alt+backspaceterminals - all terminals are out of monitor-signal-specification and i my monitor shuts down (i am glad that he does) .

well , that is my main problem (i dont understand why all terminals get affected or why it gives me an out of range signal to my monitor , when i start a standard xinitrc-script , although everything should be well configured )now and the reason why i want the "nv" dummy for testing - someone told me that i will not have those terminal problems with the dummy-driver , so that is a maybe a known bug/problem ? i have a vesa-framebuffer in my kernel (2.6.18+ or something) on my textconsoles btw .

i don't know how i can get the simple "nv" dummy , there does not seem to be a official download for it - so how can i get it ?

greetings
g-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 03:18 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: i want that "nv" dummy driver because...

If you have a problem with 1.0-9639 that you would like resolved, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678; an nv driver with support for your GPU should be included with your distribution.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 04:22 PM   #3
a_small_cake

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf go to Section "Device" and change Driver from "nvidia" to "nv".
a_small_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 04:43 PM   #4
g-force

thanks for your answers , but...
i really don't have a "nv"-dummy , i use gentoo (on that system) and with the compilation of the X11 system there seem to be no driver like that included - at least the xorg-modul for that driver is missing .
(when i try to load the "nv" instead , then the "nvidia" gets loaded anyway)

if i compile from the sources , how can i get the "nv" driver then ?
there must be a *.so module for xorg i guess , even if the "nv" is not a real kernelmodul like the other drivers.

i will try to attach the nvidia.log with the next postings , the xorg.log is rather clean of any errors .

greetings
Old 06-17-07, 05:14 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The nv driver (nv_drv.so) is an Xorg driver; I don't know which special steps, if any, are required to install it on a Gentoo system. Please note that it's not a 'dummy' driver, it's a regular 2D X driver.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 06:19 PM   #6
g-force

ok thanks , this is good to know - won't be a problem to get it running then.

i will also try to get a useful nvidia-bug-log for my problem with the "nvidia" driver (only remotely there seems to be a chance for that) and post it then ...

greetings
Old 06-18-07, 06:06 AM   #7
jeisom

use 'emerge xf86-video-nv' to emerge the 2d only driver. you may have to modify your make.conf to add

VIDEO_CARDS="nv"
jeisom is offline   Reply With Quote