Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-07, 04:55 PM   #1
jtara

Default 1.0-9762? Livna has it, but is it released?

I'm running Fedora Core 6 X86-64. I went to do a Yum update, and noticed a new kernel, so first went to Livna to get the matching Nvidia driver (which I always install manually, not using Yum.)

I see the driver matching the new kernel version (2.6.20-1.2952.fc6) is Nvidia version 1.0-9762.

But I don't see a release notice on this version here.

Did Livna jump the gun, or has Nvidia started giving them the code a few days early, and/or a "heads up" that a beta version has been locked down and will be released shortly?

I'm reluctant to install the latest Livna version, not knowing if it's an official release or not.

I see that Livna had a hard drive failure, and so is running on a backup server, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with this. (Unless Livna "stages" new releases on the backup server, and so we are seeing the release a bit early?)

BTW, the Livna version is dated May 31, along with the corresponding X11 driver libraries.
jtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 05:01 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 1.0-9762? Livna has it, but is it released?

1.0-9762 was released explicitly for QuadroPlex. NVIDIA does not pre-release drivers to any 3rd party packaging groups (Livna, FreshRPMS, etc).
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 05:09 PM   #3
jtara

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
1.0-9762 was released explicitly for QuadroPlex. NVIDIA does not pre-release drivers to any 3rd party packaging groups (Livna, FreshRPMS, etc).
You beat me to it...

I went to the download page, and substituted "9762" in the URL, to see if a release had been staged on your server. Surprise, surprise.... there it was. But with a heading indicating that it's a QuadroPlex driver.

Looks like a Livna screwup.

Unfortunately, that means there no legit driver available from Livna for the current kernel release for FC6 (and possibly other Fedora releases).

I don't think Livna has any naming scheme for QuadroPlex-only drivers, and you threw them for a loop by making a release that is for a specific board only.

Get ready for an onslaught of Livna-related support complaints...

Glad I checked before loading it. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 06-04-07, 05:12 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Just to clarify, there isn't any reason why you cannot use 1.0-9762 is you're having problems with 1.0-9755. 1.0-9762 supports the same hardware as 1.0-9755, it was just explicitly qualified for QuadroPlex.

However, moving forward, all new driver releases will be from the 100.xx.xx branch, so if you're having issues with 1.0-9755, it would be best to test the 100.14.06 beta driver.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 05:20 PM   #5
jtara

Thanks. Yes, it was unclear from your previous response that I can still use the 9762 release with non-QuadroPlex hardware.

I am not having problems - only updating because I'd like to update the kernel, I use the Livna builds, and they only provide the latest release when the Kernel is revved.

BTW, I see FreshRPMs did the same thing.

I suppose it makes sense, since otherwise Quadro users would be counted-out.

However, it leaves things in a bit of an ambiguous state. I'd imagine that Nvidia's position is that you don't officially "support" 9762 on non-Quadro hardware, since it was only qualified on Quadro.
Old 06-06-07, 11:11 AM   #6
jimgeorge

After I updated the kernel and the driver (I use kmod-nvidia, not a manual install), I could not get any monitor attached to the DFP port to work (hardware: dual Opteron, 64 bit kernel (2.6.20.2952), GF 6600, a Samsung 24" LCD on DFP, a Sceptre 19" LCD on Analog). While Linux is in console mode, both displays are fine, but when running X, the DFP won't work. I tried swapping the displays, same story. I thought it may be refresh rate related, I checked using nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate and they were within spec.

Oddly, when I removed kmod-nvidia and installed kmod-nvidia-96xx instead (and did rmmod nvidia; modprobe nvidia), the problem persisted.

I also tried removing the livna drivers, then installing the official nvidia driver package, that didn't help either.

Any ideas? Did the kernel update mess things up somehow?
jimgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 11:21 AM   #7
jimgeorge

Just checked, yes, the kernel update seems to be the culprit. I rebooted with the old kernel, reinstalled nvidia's official driver, and the DFP works fine.

Is there some way I can provide info so this can be fixed?
Old 06-18-07, 06:30 PM   #8
jimgeorge

Anybody knows what to do about this? I can't update my kernel to 2.6.20-1.2952.fc6 because if I do, I seem to lose DVI support from my GeForce 6600.