Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-21-07, 05:54 AM   #1
saguy

Default Why is there not enough great art & design in games?

I get the feeling a lot of games rely totally on the brute power of the engine to create good graphics. What you end up with is a game that looks great when it comes out, but after a while when the newness wares off, ends up looking visually indistinctive from the next one - first person shooters anyone. The problem I see is that graphics engines are becoming rather more life-like but the objects and characters do not have a life or a soul so they end up looking like animated cadavers. I was reading a very good article on this and I will post the link if I can find it. As an example they compared the face from the Crysis tech demo and a face from a Renaissance painting. It was determined that the Crysis face was more realistic but the painted face was far more human.

Instead of trying to imitate real life there should be more emphasis on style, art, level design. Designers should try and create there own reality. Classic examples of great art and design would be Planescape torment, Ico on the playstation 2 and the Zelda games. Other great designed games on the PC would be WOW which though not my thing has great art and style. Games that I have been rather disappointed with have been NWN2 and Vanguard which for fantasy genres have rather uncreative repetitive level design.

Even though I am dying to play new games like Crysis I would rather see more games that have a soul.
saguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:02 AM   #2
fizix

Default Re: Why is there not enough great art & design in games?

Point definitely made, but how many of these games, with their own unique styles, attract mainstream consumers? All of them? Few? /shrug
eVGA 8800GTX@630/1040/e6600@3.3GHz 38C 1.3v w/thermalarmor Big Typhoon cooling/2x800mhzPC6400/eVGA 680i/Modular 650W/ViewSonic '19lcd/3DMark06:12k
fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:07 AM   #3
Q

Answer: $$$

I do agree with you, though. For example, Psychonauts still looks great (especially in 1080P on my new 32" Aquos ) even after a couple years on what was a relatively basic graphics engine even at the time it came out. The art design far outweighed what could be done with fancy shaders.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:15 AM   #4
saguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
Answer: $$$

I do agree with you, though. For example, Psychonauts still looks great (especially in 1080P on my new 32" Aquos ) even after a couple years on what was a relatively basic graphics engine even at the time it came out. The art design far outweighed what could be done with fancy shaders.
Yep, Psychonauts would be on my list. In answere to my own question it's like mainstream movies which have very little originality these days.
Old 06-21-07, 07:49 AM   #5
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Sacrifice = Great Art/Design
Sacrifice = Brilliant/Unique Game
Sacrifice = One of the Best Games to Ever Release
Sacrifice = Does not follow your cookie cutter "Gran Theft Auto" or random First Person Shooter

Therefore.

Sacrifice = Utter Failure Upon release

Sacrifice was absolutely breathtaking in the art design department. The sad thing about your average gamer nowadays is that they could give two ****s less about real art. Just give them the same first person shooter over and over or a clone of WoW. Thats where the money is. Art has been kicked to the curb.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 08:22 AM   #6
XDanger
Whaaat?

Never heard of it, downloading the demo now.
http://games.internode.on.net/fileli...ledetails=6781
Old 06-21-07, 11:48 AM   #7
LycosV

Periodically a game comes out with a unique art design. Gears of War is very unique in it's appearance. But as most here have already said, it's all about the money. The same of FPS with a new graphics engine sells time and time again. They don't have to innovate or try a new art direction when you can slap the name Halo on the cover and sell millions of copies.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 12:25 PM   #8
hirantha
SUC SUDO

yep Sacrifice is an awesome game.. i still have the Box the game came with.. and amazing Artisanship

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-07, 12:47 PM   #9
saguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
Periodically a game comes out with a unique art design. Gears of War is very unique in it's appearance. But as most here have already said, it's all about the money. The same of FPS with a new graphics engine sells time and time again. They don't have to innovate or try a new art direction when you can slap the name Halo on the cover and sell millions of copies.
I did not mention Gears, but yeah apart from technically a great new engine, the art and design is top notch for a shooter. I remember the first time I played No One Lives For Ever I was impressed with the art and level design.
Old 06-21-07, 02:20 PM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

I remember getting the demo of Sacrifice a long time ago... I thought it was just amazing, the eye candy alone was just awesome. I played that first map a dozen times.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:27 PM   #11
nemecb

I think it's hard to attract really good artists to work on a game because it's not a very glamorous thing to do. When was the last time you heard of a celebrity game artist like there are celebrity game programmers/designers (i.e. Carmack or Sweeney)?

Also, I think the art in American McGee's Alice stands up really well even this many years later. It still has great atmosphere even if the poly count is low and the textures are not always super high res.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:54 PM   #12
hirantha
SUC SUDO

you want art? Play Guild Wars

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote