Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-07, 05:36 AM   #1
homsar

Default Toshiba 32WLT66 over DVI; "No valid modes"

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my Toshiba 32WLT66 LCD TV to run at its native resolution (1366x768), or as close to that as I can get (1368x768), connected over a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

I'm trying to do this using the modeline at http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?t=4255

The EDID data the TV is giving appears to be failing to return the native modes, and consequently nvidia-settings doesn't list it as a possible mode. The highest I can get is 1280x720 (which nvidia-settings appears to think is the monitor's native resolution).

Until last boot I was getting "No valid modes for 1368x768" when I examined my Xorg.0.log. I used nvidia-settings to tweak my xorg.conf so that 1280x720 was my default resolution (otherwise I was stuck in 800x600 hell), and now restarting X with logverbose 6 it doesn't seem to even attempt to validate the mode.

I've tried using "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true", but that causes the monitor to go black on restarting X.

I've also tried the ignore EDID options, but they either make no difference or cause the display to drop back to 640x480 (as was teh case when I was using the nv driver; I had to use an alternative text-mode install CD as the GUI wouldn't run at >640x480, and the install window wouldn't fit on the damn screen).

Running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn with kernel 2.6.21.5 and nvidia driver version 100.14.11. Bug report log is attached in a tar.bz2.

Thanks,

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvbug.tar.bz2 (34.3 KB, 93 views)
homsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 09:38 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Toshiba 32WLT66 over DVI; "No valid modes"

According to your bug report, 1366x768 is not a native mode for your DFP. Can you point me to where this is documented as a native mode?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 03:24 PM   #3
homsar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32WL.../dp/B000EW98IE lists the resolution as 1366x768...

...and http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Toshiba+TVs claims that the 32WLT66 will display 1366x768 with 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI (but interestingly, not VGA, whereas the entechtaiwan thread found that it *could* be done over VGA)
Old 06-23-07, 04:08 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

That link doesn't really state what kind of input supports 1366x768. I'd guess its not DVI over HDMI. The only native modes are those that appear in the X log of your bug report. You'll need to choose one of them.
Old 06-23-07, 04:27 PM   #5
homsar

I'm possibly confusing "native mode" with "native resolution". This whole thing has left me in a word soup. I'll try a VGA cable instead - I know for certain that others have had success with this display at that resolution over a VGA cable. The display simply (for whatever reason) decides not to report its availability through EDID, so timings have to be worked out manually by trial and error.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-07, 05:29 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

A 'native mode' is a mode that is defined in the display's EDID. In other words, the manufacturer has determined that these modes are the modes that work best. In many cases, DFP's will only be able to run under the modes defined in their EDID, and all others will display nothing at all. Native resolution is similar to a native mode.
Old 06-23-07, 05:39 PM   #7
homsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
In other words, the manufacturer has determined that these modes are the modes that work best.
Except in this case, they don't, as the modes in the EDID either don't work at all (out of frequency range, as the log file shows), or are horribly distorted and overscanned (the manual even has a condescending remark, saying 'You may notice that parts of the screen are chopped off. This is not a problem, this is how it's intended to be.').

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Native resolution is similar to a native mode.
You mean to say that native resolution ISN'T the term for the exact pixel dimensions of the screen itself (in this case, definitely 1366x768)? If not, what is?
Old 06-23-07, 05:48 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The native resolution is the total number of pixels on the screen.

Old 06-23-07, 05:49 PM   #9
homsar

Ah, at least I was right that time. (Although in the case of this monitor, it seems rather unrelated to the native modes reported in the EDID.)