Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Would you like NVIDIA to offer video capture support for Linux customers?
Yes 151 97.42%
No 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-07, 11:32 PM   #49
darksorceror
VIVO wanter

Default Re: Video capture support on Linux.

I have purchased nVidia chipset graphic cards with the expectation of VIVO being fully supported in Linux. I have been greatly disappointed.

It's true that video-in support would need to integrate with the v4l2 subsystem. It seems obvious to me that nVidia does not want to deal with anything other than the minimal kernel module required to interface with the video card, and the XFree86/Xorg driver. nVidia, please correct me if I'm wrong.

rivatv is not a viable alternative. It currently will not build on recent 2.6 kernels. Even if it did, it seems to me that the I2C opening has not helped them in supporting any cards above the FX series. It also seems to me that development on rivatv has stagnated and it's quite possible that the project is dead.

If rivatv ever was a viable option, wouldn't that make it a reasonably simple task for nVidia to support VIVO directly? Perhaps nVidia could adopt the rivatv project, and either integrate it into their own drivers, or supply a couple of developers to actually make the damn thing work with newer cards.
darksorceror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 03:41 AM   #50
Colossus

Hi,

I found myself in the same situation, I bought a Gainward with VIVO functionality and I can't use it under Linux for transferring my 8MM videos!

Please NVIDIA, I gave you money for buying the card! Give us Video In drivers too!
http://xarchiver.sourceforge.net
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 08:11 PM   #51
enorbet2

Greetz
I am a longtime user of "alternative" OpSys considering my first real GUI (not a dos shell) was OS/2 v2.0. So I've grown accustomed to that lil' extra searching before I buy hardware, making sure they/it is supported in that non-M$ environment, preferably w/o having to shell out extra bucks for such as SciTech Snap drivers. After IBM's undeserved embarassment at the hands of Win95 (the deserved embarassment is with their horrible marketing, not their coders) support really fell off in OS/2 so I began the migration to Linux. My revenge is that I build systems so I not only buy hardware for myself for those that support other than the Wintel monopoly, but for others as well and talk them up every chance I get, ever since 1994. Since 1996 I have bought and used on all my systems some hundreds of video cards, all nVidia since then and that commitment only increased when real 3D accellerated drivers became available for Linux, despite kernel tainting.... lesser of evils seems pretty easy in this case. Now that Vista is out and the real direction of MS is more visible than ever (I wouldn't even *pirate* it!) and that the real value of low latency stable, solid OpSys is even more apparent, it is crucial that support in Linux increase so that even dual boot or dual machine becomes totally unnecessary so that basically everything can be done in virtually any system if computing is become transparent and grow to truly serve humanity (will computers ever become obsolete to the human race?). So, yeah... It *really* matters to me that nVidia or any manufacturer desiring my support works to achieve a level playing field with their drivers, especially in a superior environment. So not only will I continue to support nVidia if it continues to support me, but conversely I will jump ship in a heartbeat if someone else finally sees the writing on the wall and votes for longterm quality over temporary popularity by actually increasing their support and ACTUALLY ADVERTISING IT ON THE BOX. Equal value for equal value... isn't that capitalism at it's best?
Jimmy
enorbet2 is offline   Reply With Quote