Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-28-07, 04:55 PM   #1
Anssi
Mageia packager

Send a message via MSN to Anssi
Default Details of new versioning

Are the two legacy drivers going to switched over to the new versioning scheme, or will they be kept as 1.0-xxxx? If they will be switched, do you already know the numbering you are going to use?

Also, can the possible dropping of hardware support for older models be figured out by inspecting the version number? For example, do you raise the "100" to "101" (and maintain "100" series as a legacy driver) if and only if support is dropped?

As much info as you can give would be useful for me, as I'm maintaining a set of NVIDIA driver rpm packages for Mandriva Linux and I'm not sure with what names I should call the different versions. For example, do I make the latest one "nvidia100" (if 101 will mean support dropped for some cards), or "nvidia10x" (if 110 will mean support dropped for some cards), or something else.
Anssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 05:11 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Details of new versioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anssi
Are the two legacy drivers going to switched over to the new versioning scheme, or will they be kept as 1.0-xxxx? If they will be switched, do you already know the numbering you are going to use?
The plan is to switch new releases of them over to the new scheme. I don't think the version numbers for them have been decided yet.
Quote:
Also, can the possible dropping of hardware support for older models be figured out by inspecting the version number? For example, do you raise the "100" to "101" (and maintain "100" series as a legacy driver) if and only if support is dropped?
No.
Quote:
As much info as you can give would be useful for me, as I'm maintaining a set of NVIDIA driver rpm packages for Mandriva Linux and I'm not sure with what names I should call the different versions. For example, do I make the latest one "nvidia100" (if 101 will mean support dropped for some cards), or "nvidia10x" (if 110 will mean support dropped for some cards), or something else.
I would recommend following the designation of legacy branches. I.e. have "nvidia" be the current release and create "nvidia-legacy-foo" packages as necessary.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 07:55 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87033.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 06:49 PM   #4
Anssi
Mageia packager

Send a message via MSN to Anssi

Okay, thanks
Anssi is offline   Reply With Quote