Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-07, 07:42 PM   #1
Digital_Trans

Default How do I put shadows behind or below an object in Adobe Photo shop?

I want to know how I can edit a picture using Adobe Photo shop for example an object or item with shadowing effect behind it and below it. They key is to make it look natural and professional! Examples of what I'm talking about are attached to this topic below.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1

Last edited by Digital_Trans; 11-15-08 at 02:45 AM.
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 08:58 PM   #2
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: How do I put shadows behind or below an object in Adobe Photo shop?

You can search the web for many tutorials the CS2 version I have at work has an automatic lighting/shadow filter already.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 09:27 PM   #3
agentkay

Just create a layer with the object that you want to add a shadow and select it, and click on "Blending Options" either with a right click on the layer itself or at the layer menu. Once you have done that you can customize the (drop) shadow effect the way you want it to look like.

The standard help guides that come with Photoshop include an "add drop shadows" topic but itīs based on drop shadows and text. It still includes some info that might help you, so let me c&p:

1# In the Layers palette, select the layer containing the text to which you want to add a drop shadow.
2# Click the Layer Styles button Layer Styles button at the bottom of the Layers palette and choose Drop Shadow from the list that appears.
3# If possible, position the Layer Style dialog box so that you can see the layer and its drop shadow.
4# Adjust the settings to your liking. You can change various aspects of the shadow, including how it blends with the layers below it, its opacity (how much the underlying layers show through), the angle of the light, and its distance from the text or object.
5# When you are satisfied with the drop shadow, click OK.

Tip: To use the same drop shadow settings on another layer, drag the Drop Shadow layer in the Layers palette to the other layer. When you release the mouse, Photoshop applies the drop shadow attributes to the layer.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 09:59 PM   #4
Digital_Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Just create a layer with the object that you want to add a shadow and select it, and click on "Blending Options" either with a right click on the layer itself or at the layer menu. Once you have done that you can customize the (drop) shadow effect the way you want it to look like.

The standard help guides that come with Photoshop include an "add drop shadows" topic but itīs based on drop shadows and text. It still includes some info that might help you, so let me c&p:

1# In the Layers palette, select the layer containing the text to which you want to add a drop shadow.
2# Click the Layer Styles button Layer Styles button at the bottom of the Layers palette and choose Drop Shadow from the list that appears.
3# If possible, position the Layer Style dialog box so that you can see the layer and its drop shadow.
4# Adjust the settings to your liking. You can change various aspects of the shadow, including how it blends with the layers below it, its opacity (how much the underlying layers show through), the angle of the light, and its distance from the text or object.
5# When you are satisfied with the drop shadow, click OK.

Tip: To use the same drop shadow settings on another layer, drag the Drop Shadow layer in the Layers palette to the other layer. When you release the mouse, Photoshop applies the drop shadow attributes to the layer.
Okay, I'll give it a shot! Thank you for this tip.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1