Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-06, 08:41 PM   #1
majoridiot

Lightbulb HOW TO: install nvidia driver .run packages yourself in ubuntu edgy 6.10

If you try to build/install nvidia drivers yourself in edgy, it errors with a message regarding the need to run at init 3... and if you quit and try the "telinit 3" suggestion from the installer, it launches right back into gnome. Here's how to get the job done-

A HUGE thank you to Cambo for sharing this information in another thread:

Boot into Ubuntu as normal, logging in on my normal account

Open a terminal, and type 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop'

Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go from VT7 to VT1 (X uses VT7, and no login prompt appears here)

Login in to my normal account at the text login prompt

type 'sudo bash' (neat trick to get you a root shell)

'cd' to the folder with the downloaded driver file

'./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1.run' (or whatever driver file you downloaded)

Follow the onscreen instruction, and you should get everything set up fine.

'/etc/init.d/gdm start' will restart X for you

If you are using a different window manager, you will probably need to change the 'gdm stop/start' lines to suit - ie. kdm for KDE.
majoridiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 11:23 AM   #2
jwillar

Smile Re: HOW TO: install nvidia driver .run packages yourself in ubuntu edgy 6.10

Good info, and here is another way from KDE desktop

open system > Adept
search for 'nvidia'
From the results, expand 'nvidia-glx', note the guidance in the visible text
install the driver
end your current session
on the log-in screen, restart the 'X-Server'
on the next log-in screen, log in.
finally, open the system Settings > monitor & Display and configure your 'hardware'.
You may have to restart your X-Server
jwillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 11:31 AM   #3
Lithorus

Default Re: HOW TO: install nvidia driver .run packages yourself in ubuntu edgy 6.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillar
Good info, and here is another way from KDE desktop

open system > Adept
search for 'nvidia'
From the results, expand 'nvidia-glx', note the guidance in the visible text
install the driver
end your current session
on the log-in screen, restart the 'X-Server'
on the next log-in screen, log in.
finally, open the system Settings > monitor & Display and configure your 'hardware'.
You may have to restart your X-Server
Think you are missing the point. The original poster was refering to the bug with the new beta driver and dash...
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 12:37 PM   #4
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo
Default Re: HOW TO: install nvidia driver .run packages yourself in ubuntu edgy 6.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Think you are missing the point. The original poster was refering to the bug with the new beta driver and dash...
Actually, it isn't so much a problem with dash, as getting Ubuntu to a state where you can install the very latest Nvidia drivers. It avoids any playing around with run levels, etc, which may have consequences with regard to wireless networking, etc.

The 'sudo bash' bit is just a way to get a root shell on Ubuntu, as by default, Ubuntu does not let you log in as root, and putting 'sudo' in front of every command can be a pain, and may also affect how a command runs.

@jwillar: As much as I like apt-get/adept/aptitude, they do rely on the repository maintainers to actually package up the latest drivers. I personally much prefer to get my drivers directly from Nvidia. When I first installed Ubuntu, the drivers they had available were pretty old, and the method of install didn't work quite right for me (no 3d acceleration). I understand they have improved this now, but I am happy to continue installing the Nvidia drivers as I do now. Please do not take this as any form of criticism ;-)

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 02:12 PM   #5
majoridiot

i have had problems as well with installing from repos, which is why i prefer to use nvidia's installer when possible. it's a shame that the new edgy rls has turned out to be so problematic... at least for me. i'm downgrading back to dapper tonight becuase of too many issues, including a random freeze with gnome that i can't seems to diagnose (not nvidia related).

i really appreciate nvidia's commitment to linux, whether open source or not. it would be great if there was a more organized or "nvidia blessed" repository of the latest stable builds for different repos. it could be user maintained and managed... given a little education in the matter, i would probably be willing to help maintain the ubuntu side.
majoridiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 03:28 PM   #6
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo
Actually, it isn't so much a problem with dash, as getting Ubuntu to a state where you can install the very latest Nvidia drivers. It avoids any playing around with run levels, etc, which may have consequences with regard to wireless networking, etc.

The 'sudo bash' bit is just a way to get a root shell on Ubuntu, as by default, Ubuntu does not let you log in as root, and putting 'sudo' in front of every command can be a pain, and may also affect how a command runs.
Either way 'sudo bash' will eventually work as another workaround the dash issue. It's only specific to this latest driver.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 03:59 PM   #7
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Either way 'sudo bash' will eventually work as another workaround the dash issue. It's only specific to this latest driver.
Heehee. It's probably best to say that it's a fortunate accident ;-)

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 01:00 AM   #8
testbenchdude

Hello all,

I cannot install the latest Nvidia video drivers. I have figured out how to launch the installer, but after I accept the license agreement I get this:

No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? YES NO

When I select YES, I get this:

No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site; this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for your kernel. OK

I select OK and then I get this:

ERROR: You do not appear to have libc header files installed on your system.
Please install your distribution's libc development package. OK

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing.......etc. OK

Then I'm back at the command prompt.

Please help as I am a linux newbie and I really want to get this running. Thanks!
testbenchdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-06, 01:11 AM   #9
xbobmx

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81456
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 01:17 AM   #10
testbenchdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobmx
apt-get install build-essential

I tried that, here's what I get:

# apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package build-essential

So... no dice there.
Old 12-02-06, 01:49 AM   #11
testbenchdude

I got it to work by following this guide:

http://albertomilone.com/latest_nvidia_udsf_edgy.html

Found it on the Ubuntu forums. Whew it was a lot of typing but heck yeah, I'm in! Good luck to the rest of you and to Nvidia--PLEASE make your installation for linux easier to us non-uber linux users! I suspect you'll be getting a lot more of us as Vista rolls out...
Old 07-20-07, 03:52 AM   #12
nubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by testbenchdude
apt-get install build-essential

I tried that, here's what I get:

# apt-get install build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package build-essential

So... no dice there.
You need to update aptitude before you can use it. Like this:

sudo apt-get update