Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-07, 07:42 AM   #1
adrianmariano

Default Why install the non-free drivers?

I have a GeForce 6200 LE card. I want to use it to watch movies---no gaming or 3d rendering or anything like that. Is there any reason to install the nvidia supplied drivers over the free "nv" driver? It looks like installing the non-free drivers is kind of a hassle (particularly as I have kernel 2.6.21), and I'm not sure what extra capabilities or performance this driver supplies.

Given my setup and goal of watching movies, will I see an advantage from the non-free driver?
adrianmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 08:11 AM   #2
Silverbak

Default Re: Why install the non-free drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianmariano
I have a GeForce 6200 LE card. I want to use it to watch movies---no gaming or 3d rendering or anything like that. Is there any reason to install the nvidia supplied drivers over the free "nv" driver? It looks like installing the non-free drivers is kind of a hassle (particularly as I have kernel 2.6.21), and I'm not sure what extra capabilities or performance this driver supplies.

Given my setup and goal of watching movies, will I see an advantage from the non-free driver?
Depending on your system speed, if you can watch movies without any dropped frames (i.e. it's smooth and plays properly) then there are no great advantages for someone with your needs. If you use a compositing window manager then it is almost essential to use the non-free driver however.
Silverbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 09:11 AM   #3
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianmariano
It looks like installing the non-free drivers is kind of a hassle (particularly as I have kernel 2.6.21),
My question is why you are saying this? Any why do you specially refer to kernel 2.6.21?
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 09:24 AM   #4
adrianmariano

As I understand it, a change in kernel 2.6.20 is (was?) incompatible with the nvidia driver because the udelay function is somehow marked as not available for use by non-free code. (I don't understand the details.) So to install the driver in this and newer kernels, you have to recompile modpost from the kernel source. I think this qualifies as a hassle. I saw mention of some further complication with 2.6.21. Now maybe nvidia has worked around this problem with the recent kernels in a new version?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87541

It sounds from this thread like maybe the latest nvidia driver works around it.
adrianmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 11:06 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

adrianmariano,
The problem that you're referencing was never in a released, kernel.org kernel.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote