Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-07, 03:02 AM   #1
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Default [100.14.11] 100% Xorg CPU utilization and abnormal memory usage

Hi everyone , I'm experiencing a strange bug.

I've installed the lastest drivers 100.14.11 on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (7900GS) with kernel 2.6.22 on Debian.

The problem is that after sometime of system uptime (from 6 hours to a day) the Xorg process starts eating up 100% of CPU time (both cores) , and I see an abnormal use in system memory. Xorg , when this happens , is almost freezed (too slow to do anything , I have to terminate it with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and even this takes some minutes) .

Even if I terminate Xorg the abnormal memory usage persists even after the killing of the XOrg process.

This doesn't happen with "nv" drivers and never happened before with nvidia 9577 and kernel 2.6.21 (can't install 9755 on 2.6.22 for some reason . It installs correctly, but behaves like if the driver isn't installed) .

Thanks for help

Bye

Marcello
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (115.6 KB, 104 views)
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 10:11 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: [100.14.11] 100% Xorg CPU utilization and abnormal memory usage

Was the attached bug report generated while the problem was present?
Do you have a reliable means of triggering this problem?
Specifically which applications are running on the system when the problem occurs?

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 04:59 PM   #3
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Was the attached bug report generated while the problem was present?
Do you have a reliable means of triggering this problem?
Specifically which applications are running on the system when the problem occurs?

thanks,
Lonni
No, the bug report is generated when the problem is not present (the system is WAY TOO SLOW to try taking the log while the problem is present) .

The problem seems to be quite random. It , almost, always happened during night , while downloading with Ktorrent (only application open along with KDE) . I usually also lock the KDE session with the "Lock Session" option from the K menu (I don't know if the translation is correct in english , I use KDE in italian) .

Thinking about it the problem always appeared when the KDE session was locked. I don't know if this has some relevance or not. Probably is just a coincidence (I usually start the computer in the afternoon and probably , because the problem appears from 6+ hours of system uptime, it happens during the night with the session locked).

Need more info?

Seems similar to this : http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95499

EDIT: Seems similar also to this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86870 The system is so unresponsive that the desktop appears , but you can't click on anything. (you have to kill Xorg that takes 1-2 minutes) .

Maybe there's something in common with these. I use x86-64, the guys above not, but all of us seems to use an SMP kernel with a Dual Core CPU.

Thanks

Marcello
Old 07-25-07, 05:06 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You'll need to find a mechanism for generating a bug report that captures the problem.

If this only occurs while your KDE session is locked, I'd guess that perhaps a screensaver is triggering the problem? Are you running a screensaver when you lock the session, or just going to a black screen?

Regardless, if at all possible, I'd suggest not locking the session and seeing if the problem persists.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 05:13 PM   #5
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
You'll need to find a mechanism for generating a bug report that captures the problem.

If this only occurs while your KDE session is locked, I'd guess that perhaps a screensaver is triggering the problem? Are you running a screensaver when you lock the session, or just going to a black screen?

Regardless, if at all possible, I'd suggest not locking the session and seeing if the problem persists.
Just black screen ,no screensavers. I'll try not-locking the session tomorrow, but I don't think this is related, because if I lock the session for some minutes or hours and then un-lock the screen there is no problem. Only happens after many houres. I'll also try to catch the problem with nvidia-bug while Xorg is busted, maybe the TTYs are working (I never tried)
Old 07-27-07, 04:15 PM   #6
sitxu

Hi Lonni

the same here + reboot
sitxu is offline   Reply With Quote