Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-07, 10:01 AM   #1
demailly

Default Bug (in VT switch / memory buffers ?) in legacy driver 9639

I have made extensive tests with drivers 96xx (xx=25,26, 29, 31, 39) on my laptop, a DELL Latitude D800 with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go card
(i386 pentium M processor) and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 (kernel 2.6.20).

I can report here in a more detailed way on problems described by several other people as well (see thread
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82507
on this forum).

The 96xx drivers are unfortunately all flawed on my configuration -- the problem didn't occur at all with the 8xxx series. The problem really seems to boil down to routines related to switching virtual
consoles. Here is a typical situation which makes everything hang (requiring afterwards a hard reboot):

normal kdm session (opening X :0 vt7)
chvt 1
chvt 7
X :5 vt12 (as super user) --> everything freezes

Switching vt's at least one time as indicated is "necessary" to get the freeze. Changing vt12 to anything else than vt7 produces the same effect.

Without performing explicitly the chvt trick, the freeze also occurs when calling e.g. a 'X :5 vt12' session, killing it and calling it again - a switch of vt's realized by any means seems to produce the bug.

All this prevents using drivers 96xx for anything else than a single session - more severely it also limitates suspending the laptop to RAM or hibernating - as switching vt's is needed in the process. (I succeeded to suspend and resume several times by removing the switch of virtual consoles in the ACPI scripts, but then the screen becomes more and more corrupted and is completely unusable after 2 or 3 times... leaving the X :5 vt12 open and switching between vt7 and vt12 also works somehow and is the only (ugly) work-around I found)

I have tried to revert back the C interface code to 8776 or to various other drivers such as 9746 (I managed to make the minimal required changes to the API so that it compiles and links as a valid module), but it still produced the same results. I therefore suppose that the bug lies in the binary chunks that I can't touch ...

I enclose my Xorg.0.log which might contain useful technical information.

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre Demailly
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (26.7 KB, 100 views)
demailly is offline   Reply With Quote