Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-07, 04:01 AM   #37
zbiggy

Default Re: No XVMC with 8500 and 100.14.03 Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
I don't think they have any other way of catching Nvidia in the driver area.
They have. At hardware level both Nvidia and ATI has many features unsupported in Linux driver. Take for example missing Purevideo or lack of XvMC on Radeons which have hw mpeg-2 decoder since Radeon1.

ATI/Nvidia just wait for Intel. When open source Intel driver will be going to equal level of development as Nvidia closed one the fight for customer will start. I do not think Nvidia will open driver. Nvidia will probably tempt customers by adding more features to driver (e.g. Purevideo, mpeg-4)

Nvidia marketers by digging through this forum can find many customer wishes. They will not give us these bonuses for free. Only dangerous competitor who tries to bite some Linux market share (rather small market but growing) can force them to big driver feature add.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 12:21 PM   #38
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
When open source Intel driver will be going to equal level of development as Nvidia closed one the fight for customer will start.
I have not followed the Intel releases lately but I just checked their website and I cannot locate any Intel product that is comparable to Nvidia/ATI cards.
It seems all they provide is motherboard chipsets with built-in video that uses part of system RAM for the display memory. Not exactly what you want for top performance at high resolutions.
I have been unable to locate any Intel-chipset-based videocard for AGP or PCI-Express slot.

Am I missing something? I would like to use a well supported (Intel?) video card, especially when it provides good video accelleration, but I don't think it exists.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 09:15 PM   #39
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Am I missing something? I would like to use a well supported (Intel?) video card, especially when it provides good video accelleration, but I don't think it exists.
Rumors say Intel is going to release discrete graphics in few years time.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 12:51 AM   #40
PenGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
They have. At hardware level both Nvidia and ATI has many features unsupported in Linux driver. Take for example missing Purevideo or lack of XvMC on Radeons which have hw mpeg-2 decoder since Radeon1.
Exactly. If ATI - AMD open their hardware to us we will take advantage of everything. A whole world of coders awaits the specs. Nvidia seems to have the best commercial talent pool at the moment for driver writers but even they pale before the mighty Penguin!

A bit dramatic perhaps, but you get the picture . It would not be hard once it's set up to backport the 'Advanced Linux Driver' to a windose environment thus serving ATI - AMD's major purpose. A unified X86 effort if you will. I really doubt Nvidia has very much to learn from open ATI - AMD hardware.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 07:17 AM   #41
amphibian

Smile Re: No XVMC with 8500 and 100.14.03 Beta

mplayer -dr -vo gl2:yuv=4 filename.avi

Much much faster than Xv for me, I'm using a 6600 so theoretically XvMC should work but it doesn't with Planar YUV12 (MSMPEG4-coded ffmpeg videos from motion) for some reason.
amphibian is offline   Reply With Quote