Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-07, 01:45 AM   #1
Tasmania

Exclamation GeForce GO 7600 Horizontal Line Glitch

Hello,

First, let me state that I am a relatively new Linux user, and because of this, something that may be obvious to you probably isn't so apparent to me, at this time. I have the basic command line down to the point where I've done some editing of my xorg.conf file both through runlevel 3 and through the terminal, and I know how to switch between "nv" "nvidia" and "vesa" for default drivers. As well, I know how to edit my inittab file to prevent runlevel 5 on boot. I have tried several fixes, and thusfar have not made any progress as to why I seem to be experiencing this issue, except for the knowledge that it is software based and not hardware.

I come from running windows for many many years, way back when 3.0 was new and interesting. Before then, I ran DOS, just like everyone else. My first laptop was a 286 SX with a black and white screen and weighed about 15 pounds.

I attended DeVry University for several semesters and took C# programming classes, as well as programmed some websites on the side. I have exposure to Java programming, and took a course on Visual Basic 6. I program PHP and HTML right now, and incorporate that with MySQL database structures. I state all of this to impress that while I may be new to Linux, I'm not new to computers, and yet with all of this knowledge I know very little. At this moment, I'm beginning to learn Linux from someone who happens to be younger than I am, therefore I realize that I cannot and will not ever know everything I wish to know about computers.

I have installed both Ubuntu Feisty and FC 7 (currently running FC7). On both operating systems I have experienced this issue after installing the Nvidia drivers. Before then, and while I run in Vesa mode, I do not have any issues whatsoever. When I boot up in FC7, the boot-up display is crisp and clean, however as soon as the log-in screen is displayed, the horizontal lines seem to offset my display and create a ghost-like view of the screen. When I move a window inside of X, it turns into static garbage while in motion and while being suspended above the desktop, until I return it to a solid state. If I switch to console based operation, the garbage flows over and destabilizes the display inside of the console, even if I switch to runtime 1. If I beat X to the punch and boot up into runtime 3, the console is crisp and clean until I "startx."

I believed, at one point, that the garbage display had something to do with the refresh rate, however I have modified my xorg.conf to fix the "50hz" bug to default it to 60hz, and gone into display resolution under system to view it while the garbage is being displayed to verify that I am indeed running at 60hz. It does not allow me to select any other option besides 60hz.

I am running on an ABS Mayhem T1 modified, and some of the specs of my laptop can be found here. I have a 120 GB HD, split into three partitions. One partition is formatted to EXT3 for Fedora 7, the other two are formatted into NTFS to allow Windows to operate the bulk of the hard-disk, however GRUB has seemingly neglected to allow the option to boot Windows. The final partition is storage space.

While in Ubuntu I installed the drivers both through Envy and through the driver run package found directly on Nvidia's website, as well, I followed every instruction for installation found on Nvidia's website. In FC 7 I installed using Livna as well as the Nvidia installer. Any time I re-install my drivers, I uninstall the previous drivers, if any, found within Linux, using Yum or get-install.

I am posting screenshots of the error, as well as including my xorg.conf file along with the logs that are necessary. What do you think?

nvidia-bug-report.log

nvidia-installer.log
Desktop
Picture 2
Picture 3
Tasmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 10:48 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce GO 7600 Horizontal Line Glitch

100.14.06 is no longer supported. Please retest with 100.14.11, as well as following the forum stick post instructions.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 01:59 PM   #3
Tasmania

Ok, I installed the latest (.11) driver and am still having the same issue. I know that I originally had the latest driver installed and thus knew already that I would have the same issue, however I also know that you can't help me if I'm not on the latest driver.

Here are the links to the .11 driver install.

nvidia-bug-report.log
nvidia-installer.log
xorg.conf
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

In picture 3, I ran the nvidia-bug-report.sh, and for some reason it cleared up the system menu and the terminal, but the desktop remained fuzzy. As soon as I exited out of the terminal and re-entered the terminal, it became fuzzy again.
Old 08-09-07, 02:04 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?
Old 08-10-07, 12:19 AM   #5
Tasmania

Alright, so a couple hours waiting for MSI to call me back, 20 minutes on the phone with ABS, and a couple more hours working on updating the BIOS because I don't have a floppy disk drive in my laptop, a reinstall of both Windows and Ubuntu - Windows three times, and 45 minutes updating Linux... it is working.

It was kind of funny when I called MSI, their response was, "Updating the BIOS isn't going to fix this problem... the BIOS update is only for Vista." and "We don't support linux."

It's working fine now, thanks.
Old 08-10-07, 08:52 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Glad to hear it.
Old 08-10-07, 09:02 AM   #7
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmania
It was kind of funny when I called MSI, their response was, "Updating the BIOS isn't going to fix this problem... the BIOS update is only for Vista." and "We don't support linux."
To be honest I can't really think how these people are hired...
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote