Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-07, 06:12 PM   #1
DebianCoder

Default BIOS and nVidia

Following up on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Nvidia doesn't offer official bios updates. Card vendors have provided new bioses if really needed. You could search on google for bioses (there are sites with them) but be VERY careful as there can be card specific things in a bios (!). (just the same gpu doesn't say anything)

Really if you don't have a good reason to upgrade it don't.
Well, here's a reason. Your devs always answer bug reports with "do you have the latest BIOS?" Never suspecting their own code, always suspecting BIOS. It gets silly after a while.

Nvidia, *you* should host vendor BIOSes and not tell people to fish around with Google. *You* know who the vendors are, and precisely what boards they shipped. They wrote the BIOS, true, but *you* can host it on your site in perpetuity. Moreover you're the most likely entity to spot bugs in BIOS code.

A lot of these vendors are out of business. Many of them used nVidia reference boards anyhow.

It ain't hard for you to post a web page with known vendor BIOSes that you can contract to redistribute in binary, under NDA, without warranty, etc. At least then users have one central source for the latest BIOSes and when you ask that question you love so much, you can tell them where to get it.
DebianCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 06:20 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: BIOS and nVidia

DebianCoder,
I think you're mis-attributing quotes. No one from NVIDIA, to my knowledge, has regularly recommended updating a graphics card VBIOS. We have, however, recommended updating a motherboard BIOS (SBIOS), as is stated in the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 02:32 AM   #3
DebianCoder

Well, Google yourself.

It hardly matters though, VBIOS or SBIOS; my point was that any BIOS question is essentially grasping at straws from a debugging standpoint. (Unless, of course, your closed drivers install new VBIOS....) I doubt motherboard BIOS upgrades ever fixed more than 2 user bugs in nVidia corporate history.

Getting back to the suggestion, if multi-billion-dollar nVidia cares so much about BIOSes, then host a nice page like this one.
x86-secret
DebianCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 04:44 AM   #4
Thunderbird

System bios updates have fixed a lot of issues. The problem is that various system bioses for instance don't properly set up the memory ranges the videocard can use and things like that (there's a lot more). It is really very important.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:26 AM   #5
energyman76b

yeah, I have fixed countless issues (and most of them not even related to graphic cards) with bios updates.

Face it, mainboard vendors suck. They try to go the cheapest road wherever they can (which is one reason why most caps on boards are still crap), and saving some money on the bios is one of their favorites. Man hours are expensive - and if something does not work, you can fix it later - it is flashable, so no problem, right?

A lot of BIOS' are buggy crap today. If it boots with windows, it is good enough.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:53 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Less than 12 hours ago:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...16&postcount=5
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 05:52 PM   #7
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianCoder
Well, Google yourself.

It hardly matters though, VBIOS or SBIOS; my point was that any BIOS question is essentially grasping at straws from a debugging standpoint. (Unless, of course, your closed drivers install new VBIOS....) I doubt motherboard BIOS upgrades ever fixed more than 2 user bugs in nVidia corporate history.
Another example of broken bios is Asus A8N-VM CSM mainboard. Google for it and you find a lot of reported bios bugs. Asus was fighting about 6 months till under heavy users pressure they eventually fixed most popular bugs in bios.
Now having latest bios does not mean all bugs were fixed. There is serious bug in vbios of integrated geforce 6150. The vga screen in dos games or some windows screens have corrupted graphic (like in badly tuned analog TV with weak signal) on both DVI-D/VGA connector. However I reported it several times to Asus with easy reproduce procedure they were not interested in fixing it because "Asus does not support DOS". It was just a matter of fixing one of VGA screen modes which was badly programmed in bios.

Nvidia has right telling people to update bios first. The mentioned mainboard till last bios have stability, boot, usb, hanging, freezing problems. All of them was NOT GPU or driver fault but crappy bios effect. Installing fresh bioses as they appeared over time slowly resolved some problems one by one.

I will never buy again any Asus mainboard and carefully consider other their hardware before buying. Asus tech support is worse than bad.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 06:50 PM   #8
energyman76b

the funny thing - Asrock is Asus' daughter - founded for cheap boards - and from my experience the Asrock boards work very well - the bios' updates are good and Tech support does not ignore someone....

It is sad, when the cheap daughter has better products than the expensive 'quality' mother.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote