Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-07, 05:50 PM   #1
Nefzen

Default Go 6200 + Turbocache, Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04, Black screen at login, 100.14.11 driver

Hello, I have tried many guides (including the one posted by the maker of 'Envy' on the main Ubuntu forums) in an attempt to install the graphics drivers for my system so I can use Direct3D and the likes. (I did a fresh install for each guide that didn't work.)

I tried using the new 100.14.11 drivers this time, following the instructions in this post first, and after I reset the system (having run the installer without any problems), I hit an XOrg error. I quickly found a fix for this (there was a module missing), and rebooted the system. Upon reboot I hear the noise that the system has reached the login screen, but I just get a black screen. The system still 'works' in the background, and doesn't hang, even if I log in.

Below are the sections of the XOrg.conf I am guessing (or hoping) are something to do with it.

Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6200/6400]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "UseEDID" "False"
EndSection
Quote:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6200/6400]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x800_60"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
EndSection
I put in the "UseEDID False" and added "_60" to the resolution after reading the problems section of a guide that made reference to the same sort of problem (a black screen at the login screen, and no lockup)

I attempted a search of the forums for the same sort of problems, but I had trouble finding anything. I apologize if I missed the post were this was already fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Nefzen; 08-10-07 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos.
Nefzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 06:28 PM   #2
xbobmx

Default Re: Go 6200 + Turbocache, Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04, Black screen at login, 100.14.11 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefzen
... an attempt to install the graphics drivers for my system so I can use Direct3D...
Direct3D is not provided by any graphics drivers in Linux, since it's an MS-only API. Only OpenGL is supported. wine and cedega provide a wrapper that translates Direct3D API calls into OpenGL calls, but it's not a real D3D driver.

As for your other problem, if you expect help from anybody on this forum, please generate an nvidia-bug-report.log (by running nvidia-bug-report.sh) and attach it here (you might need to gzip it).
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 07:28 AM   #3
Nefzen

Default Re: Go 6200 + Turbocache, Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04, Black screen at login, 100.14.11 driver

Ah, sorry about the Direct3D. I've been trying to install Cedega, which is were I got that from.

I've been trying to get the nvidia-bug-report.sh command to work as per the instructions in the 'If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first' thread, but my system seems to hang when I try to start up the X in verbose mode.
I've been doing the following:
  • sudo init 1
  • startx -- -logverbose 6
Once the X restarts I get my usual black screen, but if I hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to a CLS I get alot of writing about something to do with Synaptic being turned on and off. I tried hitting CTRL+ALT+F3 to get to a seperate CLS, but it won't let my type anything. I left it on the 'F2' screen for a while, in the hopes that it would come back, but it doesn't appear that it does.

Any ideas? Or should I just run the command without verbose mode?
Old 08-12-07, 06:14 PM   #4
Nefzen

Okay, I've managed to get a log file, while running the XServer in verbose mode. Sorry for being lazy in my previous post (and double-posting here), I realise now I should have looked around a bit more before asking a stupid question.

Anyway, I've attached the file to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (33.1 KB, 102 views)