Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-07, 03:43 PM   #25
Grogan

Default Re: 7-current. is it possible to compile?

I honestly don't know if it's a recent regression. The last time I used FreeBSD was 6.1 on an older system and the Nvidia driver at the time worked perfectly. I'm relatively new to FreeBSD (mostly a Linux user) and the only reason I installed FreeBSD from a snapshot is because the 6.2 kernel doesn't have new enough drivers for my hardware.

I didn't see the actual panic, the machine froze for several seconds and then spontaneously rebooted. After the reboot I got the message about the spinlocks (when it was saving the core) I've got a core dump, but I don't think it will be useful because I haven't got debugging options enabled and I haven't a clue how to debug a kernel in FreeBSD.

I'm about to try this again and I'll try to get better info.
Grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 04:08 PM   #26
Grogan

Well, sonofagun it's working now. Only changes I made was adding hint.agp.0.disabled="1" to device.hints (I don't think that made any difference... kldstat -v still shows the hostb/ entries for the various agp chipsets, and I don't have an agp bus on this PCI-E system). AGP support is built in my kernel though.

Another thing I did was add /usr/local/lib/compat to my ld-elf.so.conf file (compat5x built from ports so it's in /usr/local) but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it either as usually when you add something through ports, the system adds the path for the dynamic linker.

I'm going to try Sauerbraten now, if it will compile with gcc 4.2.0. If I can play that without panics I'll be happy.

I'll be back.
Old 08-13-07, 05:14 PM   #27
Grogan

It appears that I'm OK now. I played Sauer for half an hour or so, and rebooted a couple of times and tried again and no problems or panics.

Sorry for the noise.

Edit: I can tell you that it was neither the hint.agp.0.disabled="1" nor the /usr/local/lib/compat path (which was already being done). I've undone those changes and I still can't reproduce the problem.

Strange, because it happened two out of two tries last night. I'll never understand how computers can be like that. Maybe I just needed a cold boot or something.
Old 08-13-07, 10:17 PM   #28
TEA-Darius

If you have XOrg 7.2 and consequently you don't have /usr/X11R6 download the patch I have attached and then run the following..

cd /tmp
tar zxf /tmp/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-100.14.11.tar.gz
zcat /tmp/nv-drv-xorg.diff.gz | patch
cd NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-100.14.11
make X11BASE=/usr/local
make X11BASE=/usr/local install
Attached Files
File Type: gz nv-drv-xorg.diff.gz (546 Bytes, 133 views)
TEA-Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 12:04 AM   #29
Grogan

On my system, /usr/X11R6 is a symbolic link to /usr/local (where X11 is... I built xorg through ports) and things work out. I had to create that xorg/modules symlink on Linux too when I changed over to xorg 7.1 so that was no surprise. However, your Makefile tweaks would make that unnecessary. I'll try that next time I have to run the Nvidia install. Thanks :-)