Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-07, 12:27 AM   #1
davidn

Default latest 100.14.11 driver - no output with COMPOSITE

I see from these forums that there is an known issue with TVOutFormat "COMPOSITE" not working for legacy drivers.
I have just installed the latest unified driver - 100.14.11 - with Debian and also get this problem with this latest driver version.

Graphics card: GeForce 6200 GPU
Nvidia Driver: 100.14.11.
TV: PAL-B TV RCA/composite socket connected to cards TV-OUT socket via included Svideo->Composite convertor lead incl with kit
Kernel: 2.6.18
Xorg version: 7.1.1

The symptoms I am getting are:-
a) no picture *at all* with TVOutFormat set to "COMPOSITE" and TVFormat PAL-B as suggested in README

b) But with TVOutFormat set to "SVIDEO" , I DO get a picture, but in Black and White

Interestingly,
* DO get colour initially with boot/splash screens - colour ONLY disappears when X starts - hmmm ? this indicates that card/hardware/leads must all be OK to see colour at all, surely ?

* DO get colour on TV-OUT port if connect using a SVideo lead to a TV which does SVideo

* lead is OK as it produces colour if use it between my ole VCR and TV

I conclude from this that it can't be hardware but would seem to be the Nvidia driver in combination with X-server.

Why would the exact setting which Nvidia recommend for a Composite TV produce no output, yet strangely when I set to SVIDEO produce a picture, albeit Black & White

Anyone found a workaround for this ? (other than getting a more recent TV with DVI/VGA or SVIDEO connectors ;-) ... )

[problem log emailed to Nvidia support]
davidn is offline   Reply With Quote