Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-17-07, 09:57 AM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Feisty, 1.0-9631, Beryl and GL games

As far as I can tell, you're hitting two unrelated problems. The reboot/driver-reinstall issue is an Ubuntu bug, and is documented in the forum sticky posts, as well as countless other threads on this forum.

The corruption sounds like a known hardware overheating problem with this particular motherboard, due to insufficient thermal grease on the GPU. If you search this forum on your motherboard model, you'll find a non-trivial number of other people with the same issue.

In summary, reading the forum sticky posts and using the forum's search functionality would likely address all of your questions/problems.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 05:42 PM   #14
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean
whig, can you explain what you mean? I attached a file called nvidia-bug-report.log to my original post when I first reported the problem. I presume from your request that that's not what you want?
After trying different things with an updated xorg.conf is better to know where we're at
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 09:05 PM   #15
Boolean

whig: Ah, gotcha. (: Please find an updated report attached.

netllama: I think you may have posted on the wrong thread; I'm not having issues with reboots or driver reinstalls. The "corruption" (as you put it) only appears when I'm using the 96xx drivers, which leads me to believe the problem isn't in hardware. All my GL apps (including Neverball) work fine when I use the 71xx drivers. I have other issues when I use the older driver, which I mention above, but they're beside the point here, being that if it were a hardware problem, I wouldn't expect that changing my software would have any effect on making it better or worse.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (112.5 KB, 88 views)
Boolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 04:49 AM   #16
whig
550Ti

I didn't see much wrong there. Run glxinfo - you want to see direct rendering: yes. Also, things go wrong if there is more than one Nvidia driver on the system, I mean one installed eg through Ubuntu and one by running the official Nvidia installer manually. If so uninstall both then install just one.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 09:25 AM   #17
Boolean

Unhappy Re: Feisty, 1.0-9631, Beryl and GL games

I do indeed see 'direct rendering: Yes' when I run glxinfo. I've attached the full output in case that's helpful. I'm pretty sure I have only the .deb versions of the drivers installed.

Maybe I'm just not very good at searching, but I've found no other reports on the internet of a problem like mine, except for Vesa and Aribender's corroborations above. You'd think something like this would be well-known if it's common. So perhaps I'm out of luck.
Attached Files
File Type: txt glxinfo.txt (6.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-20-07, 02:15 AM   #18
lob5ter

Unhappy Re: Feisty, 1.0-9631, Beryl and GL games

Hi All,

I've just 'jumped ship' from Debian Lenny to Ubuntu Feisty and can confirm that I have the same issues - All GL apps work fine but any textured surfaces are rendered as a solid colour (usually black!) - The nvidia-glx-legacy drivers fix things but I would like to stay as current as possible.

Hardware: XPC Shuttle GeForce 4 MX - nForce GPU

Boolean - looks like we are in the same boat, I've compared the glxinfo and bug reports from our systems and nothing seems to stand out...

I've included my nvidia-bug-report for completeness, any clues/thoughts would be much appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (100.7 KB, 91 views)
lob5ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 10:18 PM   #19
lob5ter

Talking Re: Feisty, 1.0-9631, Beryl and GL games - UPDATE

UPDATE!

Having ditched the Ubuntu nvidia-glx drivers I started regressing update by update and came across the 8776 drivers (actually the ones I was using on Debian!) but couldn't compile them. A quick search turned up this little gem...

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03...y-2620-12-386/

I followed these instructions (basically patching the 8776 drivers to compile on a 2.5.19 kernel (I'm running 2.6.20-16-generic) and it worked like a charm!

Hope this helps!
lob5ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:25 AM   #20
Boolean

Talking Re: Feisty, 1.0-9631, Beryl and GL games

Thanks, Lob5ter! The 8776 driver works like a charm! Neverball looks great, and Skype doesn't freeze my system. Wonderful find! Thank you for testing all those drivers, it must have been a tedious process.

Interestingly, I noticed that the installer for the 8776 driver moved some of my configuration options from my Device section to my Screen section. (That's probably been happening all along, but the installer rearranges other things in my xorg.conf too, usually within the same section, so it escaped my notice.) I tried using the 9639 driver with these rearranged settings (attached to this post), but it made no difference. So I'm sticking with the 8776 driver.

As an aside, I can even run Beryl with the 8776 driver. I'm at a loss to explain the symptom in my original post (that running Beryl was the cause of all these problems), but I guess it is indeed a red herring.

Thanks again, lob5ter! And thanks to whig too, for your efforts in trying to narrow down the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.diff.txt (1.2 KB, 110 views)

Old 10-01-07, 12:21 AM   #21
hwertz

Not to bring back up an old thread, but "me too". I put on 96.43.01 to see if it fixed this texture problem, particularly since 8776 is removed from Gentoo portage . 8776 supports probably every feature the GF4 MX440 supports, beryl etc. work on it fine, but as I say out of portage. 7186 seems to work, except konsole scrolling can really bog down for some reason (other scrolling seems fully accelerated.) But 96.xx for at least 31, 39, 43, and I think I found 96.36 or something online someplace, all "work"except textures are black or dark grey. glxgears or the like looks great but anything that applies textures.. doesn't.

OK, the nvidia-bug-report.log was too big, so it's attached bzip'ed.... ignore the NVRM errors I see in the log, that was from me quitting and restarting X a bunch of times to try out Xorg config parameters. It eventually croaked and I had to hard reboot, but.. you know except when I play with a new driver version, I leave the computer in X full time anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (32.6 KB, 87 views)
hwertz is offline   Reply With Quote