Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-07, 09:35 PM   #1
evilchris

Default Paramount CTO explains their decision

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...y/article.html

Pretty much what I've been saying all along wrt to BD's complete lack of standards, over complexity, and high cost. ( PROGRAMMERs to author discs, lol! )

Keep in mind Paramount was a neutral studio prior to this. The BD fanboys believe it's all due to a "buyout", but that isn't really the case. Studios are hurting with the costs involved in making BD's, which provide no technological benefit or featureset over HD DVD.

2:1 in sales in favor of BD, currently, but what about profits? Studios don't care about sales numbers from Neilson, they care about profits. BD is a dead-end.
Old 08-21-07, 11:06 PM   #2
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291
Default Re: Paramount CTO explains their decision

Great link. The article speaks volumes on why Paramount/Dreamworks made the decision to go HD-DVD exclusive.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 05:27 AM   #3
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Pay me 150 million and I will tell people anything.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 08:32 AM   #4
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Pay me 150 million and I will tell people anything.
We pay you nothing and you tell us all about how much you love Flatley...

superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:09 AM   #5
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Sorry for me being a cynic but if it was all about the better standards of HD DVD, why did they need 150 million dollars to pledge their alliance to that format? Money does the talking at the end of the day.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:16 AM   #6
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_LoL
Sorry for me being a cynic but if it was all about the better standards of HD DVD, why did they need 150 million dollars to pledge their alliance to that format? Money does the talking at the end of the day.
Compensate for lost sales by cancelling their BD library, compensate for the 10s of thousands of Blades of Glory BD's that were already pressed and sitting in stores. It's a business deal. Money is always involved. Same reason 21st and Disney "support" BD, same reason Target "supports" BD, same reason Blockbuster "supports" BD.
Old 08-22-07, 02:53 PM   #7
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_LoL
That isn't the question you need to ask yourself, the question you need to ask is: Why did Paramount take the 150mil from Toshiba/MS and refuse to take the 150mil from Sony?

I'll completely agree that this is all about money, but you must realize that the HD-DVD camp is not alone in buying support. Sony has been buying the support of major studios from the start, and this is all simply to support the PS3. Why the PS3? Why would anyone buy a stand alone player when you can get a PS3 that does the same thing and plays games for a few dollars more?
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 01:50 AM   #8
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
That isn't the question you need to ask yourself, the question you need to ask is: Why did Paramount take the 150mil from Toshiba/MS and refuse to take the 150mil from Sony?

I'll completely agree that this is all about money, but you must realize that the HD-DVD camp is not alone in buying support. Sony has been buying the support of major studios from the start, and this is all simply to support the PS3. Why the PS3? Why would anyone buy a stand alone player when you can get a PS3 that does the same thing and plays games for a few dollars more?
Evilchris has explained thank you very much
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote