Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-03, 07:07 PM   #13
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rellingsen
So HyperSnap is not capturing all the post processing? Those images do seem really bad. It don't know a lot about 3D rendering but is it going thru some kind of sharpening proc. in the post filter? A lot of reviewers have been saying negative things about NVidia's AA. So it's really not that bad?
I noticed that screenshots taken with the NV35 were mis-representing 4X AA image quality. I even got a second and third opinion from my wife and son

This is an area that needs to be investigated further, but the difference was obvious in Quake 3, which is OpenGL. Haven't had a chance to investigate Direct3D. I'd also like to find out if it's related to hardware or software (drivers).
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 07:08 PM   #14
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Maybe the drivers detect when Hypersnap is running and turns up the FSAA for the snapshot? After all, the screenshots taken when not using Hypersnap looks like very little or no FSAA is being applied.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 07:11 PM   #15
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zurble
How do post-processing remove the blur ???
Does this mean AA is applied in post processing for 4xAA (only?) ????

i am not an expert, but it seems a bit confusing
That's why I've presented NVIDIA with my findings and asked them to elaborate.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 07:13 PM   #16
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Another possible answer could be that the FSAA is really not all that great on the GFFX and the drivers are detecting Hypersnap and applying a blur filter to make the snapshot appear to be a lot smoother than in reality.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 07:15 PM   #17
Typedef Enum

Just to be clear about Quake3, in particular...

Those numbers are absolutely, positively _wrong_. Do not think for a moment that they _might_ be right, under any circumstance.

Look at any other NV35 preview, and you will see the 9800/5900 be very close to one another...

I'm just glad that Anand took the time to verify that those numbers are not only correct from a benchmarking perspective, but that they also seem reasonable, given just a touch of common sense.

It's been 2 weeks now, and I know for a fact that people have emailed him letting him know that he's flat out wrong.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 07:19 PM   #18
Typedef Enum

Yeah...

I also wish people would stop saying things like,

"I know the AA isn't too great right now, so I hope this can be fixed by a driver update..."

How on earth is it that people believe you can magically morph hardware to do things at the same speed/quality via software updates, as opposed to physical hardware?

Lets put this one to rest right now...It ain't going to get any better until the next _real_ piece of hardware is released. And even then, you're going to have to hope that this issue was on their "things to fix" list, and will be addressed through hardware.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-03, 08:18 PM   #19
StealthHawk

Default Re: do you still think it's only 3dmark ?

Quote:
How do you feel looking at these numbers?:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821&p=27
Anand's numbers are wrong. You can see other sites where the Q3 1024 4x FSAA numbers are the same as Anand's, but on other sites, as the resolution increases, the scores drop. Anand's results at 1280 and 1600 are flat out wrong.

Many of these NV35 previews are less than impressive. Tom's NV35 Doom3 FSAA benchmarks were mislabeled too, they are now correct.
Old 05-25-03, 12:08 AM   #20
Hellbinder

Quote:
Perhaps anand did it wrong, or perhaps he used a driver version with "specific optimization", anyway there is enought evidence for me to be upset against both nvidia and ati (remember the quack issue).
You need to read my thread on Quak in the other cards forum.

Besides wich you are talking about ONE event from ATi going on 2 years ago, coumpared to multiple infractions from Nvidia. Like Constant ones. In that thread im talking about I posted a link to show what Nvidias GF2 Drivers looked like in Quake 3. A completel Blurry mess compared to ATi. That was 3 years ago. The pattern continues year after year.

This is why i get a little miffed when i read posts Trying to Suggest that the *Quak* issue is even in the same Country as Nvidias constant tactics.

One last Time Specific *Optimizations* for games are NOT wrong. Period end of statement. As long as they dont sacrifice Quality for speed (in general). Cheating is simply not the same thing as Optomizing. In my book Cutting Corners hacking just to win benchmarks in *anything* is Cheating.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-03, 06:46 AM   #21
Zurble

On this one you are wrong. Optimization can only occurs in routines without changing specifications (read tim sweeney response). When you can run DX9/Opengl card independant routines faster without changing specs at all, this is optimization.

When you change routines specs, you cheat whatever you notice or not the difference.
Many don't see the difference between 1024 2xAA 8xAF and 1280 4xAA 16xAF, so if ATI or Nvidia decide to replace one by the other saying it is not noticiable is realy bad faith.

As soon as there is some sort of code that detect what software is running in any driver, IT IS CHEAT. and the "bug correction"/"optimization" thing is only an excuse.

If NVIDIA or ATI thinks a game is not programmed correctly for their hardware, they should release an independant patch "UT2003_NV35.EXE" and NETHER do it in drivers.

As a company game i could sue them for copyright violation otherwise.
Zurble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-03, 10:24 AM   #22
Zurble

Quote:
How do post-processing remove the blur ???
Does this mean AA is applied in post processing for 4xAA (only?) ????

i am not an expert, but it seems a bit confusing
and where do this blur comes from ?
Zurble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 11:46 PM   #23
muzz

Default Re: Re: do you still think it's only 3dmark ?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
I feel like he needs to re-run those benchmarks on the NV35. They are incorrect.
Yeah we had a thread and folks were asking them about it.... after a few days with no answer they came back with
"We're looking into it....."
After a few mopre days of NOTHING ( didn't figure on anything anyways), there was more talk.....

They deleted the thread, so I started another asking where it went.

Those Numberrs are FOUL and they KNOW it.
Yet they do nothing and say NOTHING.

Pretty sad