Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-07, 08:05 PM   #1
Extreme Coder

Default Lots of crashes,lock-ups, and restarts with nVidia driver on GeForce4 MX 4000

Hello,
Using either Mandriva or Ubuntu, the 96xx driver for my GeForce 4 is installed easily. And 3D applications/games work fine.
But the thing is that the PC seems to be constantly crashing, either X crashes, or the whole PC. Most often it will just lock-up with no response at all, with the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock blinking. Sometimes it will just restart. Other times everything disappears, I get the nVidia logo, and the login screen appears, which is a sign the X server restarted. Take your pick.

---
My system specs:
Soltek Motherboard with i865 chipset
P4 3.0 GHz with HyperThreading support
nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 400 128 MB graphics card
AC'97 Onboard Sound
2 generic LAN cards
---

What makes me know the nVidia driver is the problem is that if I switch to the opensource "nv" driver, the PC is rock-stable with no crashes at all(had only one crash after running it for 2 days, probably because its temperature reached 51C)
Although one of my friends suggested turning off the HyperThreading from the BIOS, I tried that. It didn't make a difference. In fact, I'm running without it now.

I seem to recall similar symptoms with my older card(nVidia Riva TNT2), but I wasn't using the PC much when it was in my PC.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance,
Ahmad Yasser
Extreme Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 08:31 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Lots of crashes,lock-ups, and restarts with nVidia driver on GeForce4 MX 4000

See the forum sticky posts.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 08:57 PM   #3
Extreme Coder

Default Re: Lots of crashes,lock-ups, and restarts with nVidia driver on GeForce4 MX 4000

Oh, sorry I didn't notice it.

Anyway, here is the nvidia-bug-report.log

I don't think any of the cases of the stability problems topic apply to me though.

EDIT: Stupid me, I did this without any crash or things happening yet, and I was using the 'nv' driver in the last boot :/ I'll have to wait for a crash and then I will re-upload the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (87.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 08-28-07, 07:39 AM   #4
Extreme Coder

My PC locked up again :/
I was playing Urban Terror online, when suddenly the game locked, no response from any keyboard combination, and Caps Lock and Scroll Lock were blinking.

I've attached the nvidia bug report.

I hope this isn't a hardware problem :/

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (87.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-28-07, 10:01 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

1.0-9631 is no longer supported, please retest with 1.0-9639.

You should also retest with NvAGP set to 0 in xorg.conf, and verify that you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote