Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-07, 12:54 PM   #1
mingus

Default X freezes with 100.xx driver & Compiz

I am opening this new thread because the only other I found (93001?) that seemed exactly like this is apparently not being responded to. This problem has been also discussed extensively on the fusion-compiz forum, with no resolution.

Edit: This appears to possibly be the same bug as https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10720.

Attached is a .gz file with two nvidia-bug-report logs from running the nvidia script across remote ssh while X was frozen (but obviously not the underlying system). One is for the user account, the newer while running a KDE session as root. X is running with the -logverbose 6 option.

I am using openSUSE 10.2 x64, the current Compiz 0.5.2-17, kernel 2.6.22, nvidia driver 100.14.11, xorg 7.2, a new eVGA 7600GT card on a new Biostar Tforce 550 SE vsn 5 with the current production BIOS.

Whenever I end a session, or request to re-start a session, the desktop icons and taskbar are cleared leaving just the background, and then the system freezes. There is no response to keyboard or mouse, and a hard shutdown at the power switch is the only alternative.

I reproduced the problem in 100.14.09. It occurs only when Compiz is running. It does not occur if Xgl is being used. Additionally, if I install the 9755 driver, the problem resolves. So essentially the same factors as other posters have experienced, and possibly the freedesktop bug above.

The freedesktop Bugzilla indicates it is "reopened" but there has been no further posts since June. Does Nvidia consider this to be an Nvidia bug, X bug, Compiz bug, or ??? Status?

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-logs.tar.gz (74.3 KB, 94 views)
mingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 07:30 AM   #2
tytanick

Default Re: X freezes with 100.xx driver & Compiz

accually, i have the same problem, i posted in many threads, but still no response from nvidia , are they working on that problem, or just leaved this and concentrate on geforce 9 series, i dont know
but problem is when i ENABLE composite extension in xorg config (this is needed to use compiz)
but without using compiz and with composite enabled i still have those freezes, everyone have

nvidia should give us some answers, are they working on this problems or not, i heard from unofficial source, that ati is making something special in linux drivers, and nvidia still have problems with them. so if there will be still no response from nvidia corp, i will simply buy radeon graphic card, because there no such problems with amd accually
tytanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 03:24 PM   #3
meierkurt

I have the same Problem on Suse X64 / Nvidia 6100 on Board.

At the moment Xgl / Nvidia 9755 is the best Solution without Freezes.
meierkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 08:18 PM   #4
FuturePilot

Same problem here with Ubuntu. It happens on a GeForce 6600 and a 8400 GS. It only happens with the 100.xx.xx driver. Earlier version work fine. I've also posted another thread about this.
FuturePilot is offline   Reply With Quote