Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-07, 10:17 PM   #1
pauljr

Default GLX errors w/ onboard 6150 revisited

I posted about a month ago with a problem where when I try to run the program 'glxgears' the windows doesn't show the gears, only black, and the system hangs and I need to hard restart. netllama was kind enough to respond although I tried everything he said to no avail.

Recently compiz was officially released to the debian repository so I decided to try it. When running compiz all the windows freeze and I think this is related to the GLX error. Someone told me that most of the nvidia 6xxx series is not supported well with linux, or especially mine the 6150 LE onboard. I am already going to be getting a new computer due to this although one possible solution caught my attention. To get compiz working with nvidia, posts stated to add certain lines to the "Device" section of xorg.conf and I was wondering if perhaps my GLX features being non-implemented could be resolved by enabling something there I don't know about.

My original 'Device' section looked like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE]"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection

Then after reading the setup compiz with nvidia posted I tried this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE]"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "backingstore" "True"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
BusID "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection

Now X still loaded with the new features, although compiz still froze when started and glxgears still froze. What I'm hoping is perhaps there is another option to add to this section which will enable glx features for my card.

Note: When the freeze occurs I cannot access a terminal on my system so the nvidia log is only available from prior to the occurance. It is the same log posted on the last post of mine with the latest nvidia driver.
pauljr is offline   Reply With Quote