Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-07, 05:44 PM   #1
Burpy
crazy diamond

Lightbulb Advice needed on first HDTV purchase

I plan on buying my first HDTV soon and would really appreciate some advice from you guys/gals.

What are the most important features I should be looking for in a HDTV?

My HDTV choices are limited to CircuitCity, because I have a $1,000 store credit.
I'm willing to go a bit higher if needed. Looking to get a 37"-45" set.

- CircuitCity HDTV

Thanks in advance.

Antec P182 GunMetal | DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Patriot Extreme Performance 8GB | eVGA 9800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music | Logitech Z-640 Speakers | Logitech Wave Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seagate 320GB HD | SamSung DVD Burner | Corsair 520HX PS | Dell 2005FPW 20.1" (16:10) | Windows Vista Ultimate x64

- nVidia Priceless Overclock -
Burpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 08:32 AM   #2
BlobdusaColoXus
Consumer

Default Re: Advice needed on first HDTV purchase

I would look at, in this order, the following:

1. Contrast (picture quality)
2. Resolution (720P, 1080P)
3. Inputs (HDMI, component, composite, s-video)

What TYPE of display will affect the above (CRT, LCD, Plasma).

CRT have unrivaled PQ, but there is flicker and noise... LCD have (generally) poor PQbut they're cheaper... and while plasmas have better color, they cost far more in both $ and power consumption.

Now, depending on how far you sit from the TV and what other hardware you intend to hook up (DVD, BD, HDDVD players) I would go with something like this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
EVGA 680i
256 MB Corsair Value Select RAM
ATi Radeon Crossfire X2950XTXtXxXX-X
36KW General Electric PSU
BlobdusaColoXus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 10:29 AM   #3
|MaguS|

Samsung DLP, Can't go wrong there...
Old 08-12-07, 01:33 PM   #4
Danothemano
themanotheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|

I agree.
Old 08-12-07, 09:30 PM   #5
Rakeesh

It highly depends on what you are looking for. How big is the room, how far away are you planning on sitting, whether this is going to be for an HTPC setup, what the color "tone" of the room is, what the overall lighting of the room is, among other things. That helps you determine what size and resolution you need. The technology can vary based on that as you'll need to take things like viewing angles into consideration.

The thing I don't like about DLP is the viewing angles tend to be worse than any flat screen tech, so they don't make a good HTPC display IMO, and the picture isn't quite as sharp as plasma or LCD (which you may or may not notice depending on how far away you sit. Plasma gets overall better color than LCD but produces lots of heat, consumes lots of electricity, the picture dims over time as the phosphors age, and is susceptable to burn-in whereas there is virtually no burn-in with LCD.

FWIW I tend to use LCD as a benchmark for comparing other techs with as most people already know what having an LCD monitor is like, and having an LCD TV isn't much different except you'll probably get better contrast and less color bleeding out of a LCD TV than an LCD monitor as the typical LCD TV has a much higher contrast ratio than the average monitor, and typically has better designed back lighting.

As for CRT...well, who uses CRT anymore? Geometry and overscan issues are the biggest problem there, forget about HTPC with CRT. Other than that, they tend to have better contrast for the first few years of their life than most display technologies.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 06:41 AM   #6
Burpy
crazy diamond

Post Re: Advice needed on first HDTV purchase

Looks like I will be getting my HDTV during the Labor Day sales this weekend.

I have settled on the Samsung 46' DLP, but have some concerns about the lamps that will need to be replaced in a few years.
Is this something that I should worry about? Is this a good enough reason to maybe consider a LCD instead?

The HDTV will mostly be used for TV, DVD, HD-DVD/Blue-Ray & maybe PS3/360.
The distance from the TV stand to the couch is about 12 feet.
The room is well lit, but can be adjusted via dimmer and window shades can be closed.

- Samsung 46' DLP HDTV $900 - My current choice

Could someone suggest a comparable LCD for under $1500, just in-case I decide not to go DLP.

- CC LCD HTDV's

P.S. I noticed that the Samsung DLP says under HDMI that it supports 1080p even tho the set is a 720p native.
I was told by a Best Buy rep that thats a typo and that the television can only display it's native resolution & can't do 1080p.
Could someone clarify what exactly 1080p via HDMI on a 720p native display really means?

Thanks in advance.

Antec P182 GunMetal | DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Patriot Extreme Performance 8GB | eVGA 9800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music | Logitech Z-640 Speakers | Logitech Wave Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seagate 320GB HD | SamSung DVD Burner | Corsair 520HX PS | Dell 2005FPW 20.1" (16:10) | Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Old 09-02-07, 06:42 AM   #7
Burpy
crazy diamond

Post Re: Advice needed on first HDTV purchase

Oops, double post.

Old 09-02-07, 08:01 AM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

1080p on a 720p set means it will take the 1080p signal on scale it down to 720p.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-07, 09:05 PM   #9
wolfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
If you're gonna look at DLP, check out the Samsung LED DLP line.

The LED replaces the lamp and the color wheel, has a higher color gamut, and being solid state, has 10+ years expected life. (factor in, not replacing the $400 lamp every year, and you save thousands)

I'm trying to convince the wife to upgrade to the samsung HL-T6187S. (61" DLP LED)
The 56" or the 50" are really nice and can be found for under $2000 (for 56"). (Amazon and many others)

Whatever your choice, be careful of stores and their displays. too many sales people pushing one or another but without understanding the technologies or trade-offs and differences.

make sure it has at LEAST 2 HDMI inputs, plus minimum 1 component and 1 s-video for backward compatibility.

A great forum for HD TV's: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php

very knowledgeable and helpfull people.

My final recommendation: Buy more than you need today. We're still in the early HD adoption phase.; The Video is 90% of your AV system. If the picture is weak, it doesn't matter how good the rest of your system is.

PS: congrads..

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783

Last edited by wolfgar; 09-05-07 at 03:34 PM.
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote