Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-07, 08:16 PM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: Rumor, strong one, about WB going HD DVD exclusive and possible Disney neutral

Cool, at least we got confirmation one way or the other instead of silence.
Old 08-24-07, 09:25 PM   #26
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Default Re: Rumor, strong one, about WB going HD DVD exclusive and possible Disney neutral

Well not to fan anything but Sony said they weren't dropping the price of the PS3 either....

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 12:13 AM   #27
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800
Uhhh I dont know how you get the figures from but both these figures are seemed not right. I used xe.com to converted the Japan Yen to US Dollars to give me the most up to date accurate figures:

Live rates at 2007.08.24 11:04:16 UTC

Japan Yen
1 JPY = 0.00863295 USD

United States Dollars
1 USD = 115.835 JPY

Toshiba's 2007 net income is 137,429 million yen x 0.00863295 = $1,186,417,685.55, that $1.1bn US dollar for 2007 net income (profit).

Toshiba's 2007 operating income cost is 258,364 million yen x 0.00863295 = $2,230,443,493.80, that $2.2bn US dollar.
Pulled the numbers directly off their website
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/ir/en...2007q1e_06.htm

Also pulled the westinghouse info off their website
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/ir/en...2007q1e_03.htm
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 01:28 AM   #28
A101Sugar

Send a message via AIM to A101Sugar

hope it comes true. I just go the HD DVD add-on for my 360. even if it doesn't come true all that matters is I got my Tranformers and The Bourne Ultimatum
A101Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 11:17 PM   #29
wolfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I know I'm not the only one who believes that even if EVERY studio switched to HD DVD, Sony/Columbia/Tristar would continue releasing exclusively on Blu-ray as long as they possibly could.

same as the old VHS vs BetaMax war.

If HD-DVD wins (my personal preference mostly because I distrust SONY to own the next DVD format) SONY will have no choice (eventually) to sell their movies on that format.

DVD sales now account for more than 50% of the studio revenue from movies.
only 17 percent still comes from the theaters.

Thats why the content creators are so afraid of copying. it would kill their gross $$..

So Sony created their own format, heavily on the DRM (digital Restriction management)

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 12:23 AM   #30
superklye

Isn't it Digital Rights Management?

And Sony didn't single-handedly create Blu-ray...they're one of many who developed and support it.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 02:01 AM   #31
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Quote:

And Sony didn't single-handedly create Blu-ray...they're one of many who developed and support it.
Yeah. They're just the loudest cheerleaders.
Old 09-04-07, 08:16 AM   #32
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfEvil
Yeah. They're just the loudest cheerleaders.
Exactly. For all intents and purposes, Sony DID create it. They're the largest/loudest supporter of the format because they have so much riding on it. To J6P, Sony = Blu-ray = Sony.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-07, 05:13 PM   #33
wolfgar

Quote:
Technically, thats what they like to call it.

In practice, its all about restrictions on the users to enforce their 'corporate rights'.

I would think it would be hard to find any end-user who feels they have ANY rights under DRM.

The honest user, is harmed. The criminals ignore and subvert anyway. It costs millions to develop, implement, and distribute (costs passed onto us). And then, its cracked within days anyway.

I have never ripped a movie, nor to my knowledge violated the basic intent of a movie copyright. (have you actually read that FBI notice. Jeez) But, I'm treated as a criminal. Assumed guilty until proven .... (um never).. Always assumed guilty.

The studios themselves (grugenly) admit DRM really doesn't work, but they don't know what else to do.

Add to that, that the Sony Blu-Ray extended DRM model allows them to brick your player if they so desire. And you have no recourse but to buy another one.

And, Sony has yet again, been found guilty of creating another PC root-kit. Actions always speak more than words: They just don't care about their consumers.

Besides, HD-DVD has delivered on virtually all their promised features, Blu-ray hasn't, and has no ETA. The studios are now realizing how difficult and costly the Sony implementation is. It will be another 2 years before a winner is declared. SO why not go with the richer, easier and cheaper option for now?

As of right now, and for the 2007 holiday season, HD-DVD is the superior and cheaper platform. The 3rd generation HD-DVD systems will be available early October. ( gonna get me one)

I'm already tired of this "format war", and its just beginning..

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote