Code:
The following packages are BROKEN:
  compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins
  libcompizconfig0 libdecoration0 python-compizconfig
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  compizconfig-settings-manager freeglut3 libxcomposite1 mesa-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  compiz compizconfig-settings-manager freeglut3 libxcomposite1 mesa-utils
0 packages upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2115kB of archives. After unpacking 8446kB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libcompizconfig0: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed .

Score is -19989
Alright there is your problem right there you need libc6 from either testing or unstable in order to be able to install it whereas you are running a stable system. So you have either the testing or unstable in your sources.list this is not really the way to go as it just won't work because too many things depend on libc6 it is the entire basis that the OS is built around/upon so when you upgrade it you may as well be running the higher branch it is in. What you could do is dist-upgrade to either testing or unstable, with testing being the best choice, then it should install and if needed you can do what is called apt pinning and get the odd package from unstable. Now whether you want to do this I don't know but if you want I can give you a hand getting the proper settings in place so it should work. Another option is just getting the Debian source for the package(s) then build them yourself and installing the resulting .deb files with dpkg if they don't have a hard dependency on on some package in testing/unstable (eg must have new feature in libc6 for instance) then they should be able to be built for your install then they will just work.

Another thing I see looking back here that you have the backports in you sources.list. So what does apt-cache policy libcompizconfig0 show you? If you see that it is at the backports site then you will want to remove/comment out the unstable line then update and try to install from there the work of building the packages for a stable install would have already been done so it should work fine.
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 01:30 PM   #38
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashfulTux
Alright there is your problem right there you need libc6 from either testing or unstable in order to be able to install it whereas you are running a stable system. So you have either the testing or unstable in your sources.list this is not really the way to go as it just won't work because too many things depend on libc6 it is the entire basis that the OS is built around/upon so when you upgrade it you may as well be running the higher branch it is in. What you could do is dist-upgrade to either testing or unstable, with testing being the best choice, then it should install and if needed you can do what is called apt pinning and get the odd package from unstable. Now whether you want to do this I don't know but if you want I can give you a hand getting the proper settings in place so it should work. Another option is just getting the Debian source for the package(s) then build them yourself and installing the resulting .deb files with dpkg if they don't have a hard dependency on on some package in testing/unstable (eg must have new feature in libc6 for instance) then they should be able to be built for your install then they will just work.

Another thing I see looking back here that you have the backports in you sources.list. So what does apt-cache policy libcompizconfig0 show you? If you see that it is at the backports site then you will want to remove/comment out the unstable line then update and try to install from there the work of building the packages for a stable install would have already been done so it should work fine.
Ahh, that makes sense. I had to install libc6 in order to install the NVIDIA drivers but I see where I installed the "stable" version and not the "unstable" or "testing" version. So I'm assuming I need to change my repos in order to get a "testing" version? Which repos would that be?

Sorry, I'm not used to Debian, but more of Ubuntu where a lot of things are already installed/taken care of lol. Still got a lot of learning to do! But hey, what are forums for anyway?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 03:03 PM   #39
BashfulTux

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Ahh, that makes sense. I had to install libc6 in order to install the NVIDIA drivers
libc6-dev I take it you mean libc6 would already be there.
Quote:
I see where I installed the "stable" version and not the "unstable" or "testing" version. So I'm assuming I need to change my repos in order to get a "testing" version? Which repos would that be?
It appears not unless you need the latest version from unstable I had thought it was not available looking at your inclusion of unstable in your sources but the versions are the same until there. So you may want to remove/comment out the line for unstable you have in your sources.list then update to refresh the package cache and install compiz which I take it is what you are after. I have never used it but I believe you need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to enable the feature or maybe you get an option/information screen during the install telling you the changes needed.
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not used to Debian, but more of Ubuntu where a lot of things are already installed/taken care of lol. Still got a lot of learning to do! But hey, what are forums for anyway?
Exactly everyone has to start somewhere.
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 10:17 AM   #40
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Alright, I've been playing around with Debian for a little while and I even tried to reinstall Ubuntu and CF . . . no luck. The problem with Ubuntu is that NVIDIA drivers wanna screw up the X config. Even if you reinstate your backup xorg.conf, it still won't load X.

I guess this is just something with Linux. On my other rig (currently under construction), I had no problems with installing and running CF. Guess Linux and NV drivers just hate my test rig lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 12:38 PM   #41
JackieBrown

If you use sid then this will give you the newest compiz

http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote