Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-07, 10:25 AM   #37
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Debian insight

Oh...I'm loving this. Last night I upgraded my kernel (from 2.6.15 to 2.6.21). After I did this, I rebooted my box and when it came back on, it (my nVidia driver) complained about me not having the header. I rebooted tand went back to my old kernel. I apt-get the right package, then I run the nVidia script, and BAMM!1!! I'm back in biniss!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:43 AM   #38
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
I upgraded my kernel -- After I did this, I rebooted my box and when it came back on, -- nVidia driver -- complained about me not having the header. -- I apt-get the right package, then I run the nVidia script -- I'm back in biniss!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean with "not having the header". To me it sounds like something's trying to automagically compile the nVidia module. But that's not my point.

Anyway, since I'm really trying to do things The Debian Way(tm), I try not to install anything systemwide outside the package management (that would be dpkg). Because of this I don't install nVidia's drivers with provided script, but build everything as packages. I used to do this manually until I finally decided to give "module-assistant" a try. module-assistant will get you the sources, compile, and install nVidia's proprietary drivers, all free of charge!

I have not tried module-assistant on stable or testing, but the chances are that it'll work just fine. I guess you'll need to add deb-src -line to your sources.list (nvidia-kernel-source can be found at non-free), and probably install linux-headers for your kernel (I prefer using metapackage linux-headers-2.6-amd64 and the one for the kernel itself), but module-assistant should take care of the rest.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 07:42 PM   #39
carlos
In the fetal position

You need the following package installed ...

Code:
apt-get -y install linux-image-2.6.2x-686 linux-headers-2.6.2x-686
After that, reboot and then install the nVidia driver.
Old 09-01-07, 02:35 PM   #40
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Guess I'm currently joining the Debian club myself; migrating from Ubuntu 7.04 to Debian 4.0 Stable. Ubuntu really opened my eyes to Linux, unlike my previous experience with Suse and RedHat (HEADACHES!!!), but Ubuntu does install a lot of unnecessary stuff, yet doesn't install what you need lol. I know that Linux is all about tweaking and making it your own, but I couldn't get boot times to drop for an OS so light. Boggled my mind.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 04:11 PM   #41
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I know that Linux is all about tweaking and making it your own
I'd say GNU/Linux is nowadays primarily about options and choices, and only secondarily about tweaking.

And as for nvidia proprietary drivers, I'd say module-assistant (with kernel-headers if stock kernel is used) is the way to go.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 01:43 PM   #42
JackieBrown

Module assisant makes it a walk in the park with stock or compiled kernels (as long as you compiled the kernels the debian way as well.)
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote