Short version of question:
Did anybody set up a system that has two entirely separate Xorg servers running, with two keyboards and 2+ mice, when at least one of them is multi-head?
My current setup is two machines on 3 displays plus TV:
- one triple head Linux server with two DVI displays and a TV out on two cards, using 6600GT and 5200 PCI. The second card and TV aren't that important, I could do without, in fact right now I do. The displays fed are an upright 21" full aspect and a 24" widescreen
- one single-head multiboot for games, a7800 GTX feeding a third display. Obviously each machine has it's own keyboard and both have two mice (one with wheel, one with three buttons). This one only uses one display at a time, but I switch the two DVI ports to either feed a 19" that is for the gaming machine only and the 24". The 24" inch is the same as for the server, I switch the display's input channels when I want to go from movies-on-server to widescreen-gaming
I am so fed up with Windoze now that I will only play games that run on Linux. Natively, vmware, wine, cedega I don't care.
But I can't just do a triple head, because I need a second keyboard and associated mouse for the game screen. Reasons:
- The various emulators and native games can capture the mouse focus so that I can't go back to the other screens
- I actually want to give keystrokes to both areas using two keyboards.
- So I really want two full Xorg servers, each with their own hardware.
So this is the suggested setup:
- Server gets both the 6600gt and the 7800gt
- Xserver 1 (keyboard1), port 1 goes to the upright 21"
- Xserver 1 (keyboard1), port 2 goes to the 24" input 1
- Xserver 2 (keyboard2), port 1 goes to the 19"
- Xserver 1 (keyboard2), port 2 goes to the 24" input 2
- I then switch the 24" between the two cards
- TV I dunno yet, I probably hook that up to the game X server somehow. Not that important
Is that realistic?
Anybody done it?
How do I tell the Xorg config which keyboard and which mouse goes to which X11 server? What happens if I plug in another mouse?