Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-07, 01:22 PM   #1
dahveed3

Default No NVidia Splash but everything works

I'm going to try to attach the bug report. Okay, that seemed to work.

Was the NVidia splash removed or deactivated in some way with the new driver? The driver is working fine and all the checks recommended in the NVIDIA readme and otherwise, checking the logs, etc, appear to show me nothing weird.

The system boots normally, NVidia Settings shows the right stuff, Compiz Fusion, glxinfo and glxgears, 3D games and screensavers all work fine.

But I don't see the NVidia boot splash when X starts, even for the split second it seems to be set for on Debian. When I ran OpenSUSE 10.2 it displayed for an acceptable second or so but I did notice on Debian it was always for a "want to see it again?" really split second. But now it doesn't appear at all.

I'm not pining for a boot splash, heh heh, but I just don't know if it's not displaying because something is wrong.

If you check the bug report you'll see in the installer section that reference to include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/autoconf being missing. Something had stopped the new driver from installing using the Debian Lenny 2.6.21 Kernel even with the updated 3rd party script with the gpl'd makefile. So I upgraded again to (I had done this before and had wanted to go back to being all Lenny, but since I won't do without NVidia, here we go) 2.6.22 using /etc/apt/preferences and aptitude install -t unstable the kernel and the headers. The current install was done using the linux-image-2.6-k7 from Sid, which brings in 2.6.22-k7 and also the matching headers. And no 3rd party script was used, only the downloaded NVidia driver from NVidia. All previous junk, like the stuff in KBuild, etc, were deleted. All that was purged and the new stuff installed correctly with aptitude.

To be clear, this is Debian Lenny with the 2.6.22 latest Sid Kernel and headers installed using aptitude the Debian way, and with the official NVidia installer.

I think the autoconf errors may be due to Debian having separate folders for the 2.6.22 common headers and 2.6.22-k7 headers and symlinking stuff between the two folders. Something in that fellow's 3rd party script no longer works with the new NVidia driver, but if updated to 2.6.22 the official NVidia installer can be used and doesn't seem to trip over this.

I was surprised to still see that autoconf missing stuff in the bug report even though the NVidia install had successfully installed the driver and all, except the NVidia splash screen, is working fine. You can see all the other logs successfully starting up the NVidia driver.

Debian builds its Kernel using gcc 4.1, but Lenny has both gcc 4.1 and gcc 4.2 installed and includes gcc 4.2 in the Environment variables. So the NVidia installer believes it is a mismatch even though it is not.

I used export CC=gcc-4.1 before running the NVidia installer in order to stop the installer complaint regarding this mismatch that (I don't think) is really a mismatch. I used the NVidia readme instructions to detect which gcc version the Kernel was built by and it reports gcc 4.1, just like the NVidia installer uses. But the system reports gcc 4.2 as the version detected as being available (causing the NVidia installer needing that export command). Go figure that one! I hope Debian changes this as this can't be a desired permanent situation.

Anyway, do things look all right to you guys? What's with that splash not being there? Why does everything work with no errors reported and all NVidia files existing and linked properly (at least from what I browsed around to while reading the NVidia readme), but no splash appearing?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (104.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 09-24-07, 02:05 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: No NVidia Splash but everything works

Since the NVIDIA X driver doesn't delay its initialization in order for the logo to always be visible, whether or not you'll see it depends on how fast your monitor syncs, etc.. The logo is not a good indicator for proper driver operation.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 04:40 PM   #3
dahveed3

Good! I can assume then, that proper driver operation is a pretty good determinant of, um, proper driver operation.

Because everything works I'll just assume from what you stated that all is likely to be fine but my monitor is just loading everything up really fast.

Do you see anything troublesome in either the bug log or the situations I described in my post?

I think the two versions of gcc result from build essential first installing gcc 4.1 and then at a later date being one of the upgrades installed by a general aptitude full-upgrade. I think the upgrade for build essential does not remove gcc 4.1 and the Kernels continue to be built with it, but also installs gcc 4.2 and loads that into the environment as it will be preferred that way.

No clue about the config files not being seen but it didn't interfere with the official NVidia driver being installed onto Kernel 2.6.22 as it had interfered (I think) with a previous attempt to install the para-virt patched driver into 2.6.21.

Doesn't OpenSUSE use a time duration for the display of the NVidia splash screen? I wondered since it does stay on the screen longer than it does on Debian, which I thought just set a very short time duration for it. Is there any control a user could set for this? I thought I had seen something in writing about that at some time in the past.

Seeing the splash for a moment is just comforting. I'm sure a lot of people turn it off, as I saw in the readme that there is an xorg.conf setting to add for that. But I liked seeing it!
Old 09-27-07, 01:48 AM   #4
dahveed3

Ooh! During a restart today I saw the NVidia splash zoom by really quick. Okay. At least I've seen the thing once.
Old 09-27-07, 04:12 PM   #5
mooninite

The nVidia logo is embedded in the nVidia driver -- it is *NOT* something a distribution can tinker with.

You can disable the logo within your xorg.conf if you'd like it to go away, but that's all you can adjust.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 04:24 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Actually, that's not entirely true. The LogoPath option can be used to specify an alternative logo. See the driver README for more information.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 11:08 PM   #7
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Actually, that's not entirely true. The LogoPath option can be used to specify an alternative logo. See the driver README for more information.
Ah yes, I forgot about that option. Thanks netllama.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 12:10 AM   #8
dahveed3

Good to know, if I ever see the thing again, that I'd have an alternative.

Really no problem though. I was only concerned whether something was wrong but I guess my old HP Pavilion mx70 is being run really efficiently by the driver. So much so that it doesn't get enough time to even display the splash.

All unimportant stuff like this aside, I really appreciate the improvements in the latest release. I've experienced zero problems so far and it runs Compiz Fusion, that I use the Shame Debian Lenny repo for, much more smoothly than the previous driver version did. Full screen 3D stuff whether Linux games or Windows programs run in Wine are working great as are the normal 2D things. Videos look fine, and I just noticed today that after nearly always playing DVD's in either Kaffeine or Totem, Mplayer's quality and brightness is more in line with what I'd get in Windows. I usually use Kaffeine where they are a bit too dark but I had no idea how much nicer MPlayer displays them. Too bad the menus aren't used in MPlayer though. They just make it easier to find stuff.

So thanks to everyone responsible for a great release.