Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-06, 02:45 PM   #1
NormMonkey

Default nVidia Quadro 110M suspend issues

Hi all,

I just got a Dell Latitude D620 with an nVidia Quadro NVS 110 (0x01d7). I have installed Debian-testing (etch) and I have been trying combinations of kernels ranging from 2.6.15 - 2.6.17 and nvidia drivers 8756, also 8762 in an effort to get suspend to work.

Suspend-to-RAM:
* Suspends OK
* After it resumes, virtual terminals are blank although the LCD backlight remains ON
* After it resumes, things in X display slowly. For example, 'ls / -R' would normally fly across the screen but after STR it lags. 'glxgears -printfps' gives the same result before and after STR. Editing a textfile and moving the cursor up/down the file lags. Closing the terminal program and opening a new one doesn't help.
* Restarting X (although it is difficult since I can't see what I type back in the text VT) eliminates the slowness mentioned above

Suspend to Disk (swsusp1):
* Fails -- the display blanks and the computer becomes non-responsive right after "Shrinking memory"

Suspend to Disk (suspend2):
* Fails -- the display blanks right after "doing atomic copy" ... although it seems to respond to the power button (ACPI event to shutdown -h now) which tells me it's not completely unresponsive

The PCI bridge shows up in lspci as Intel 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML ("Express Memory Controller Hub" and "Express PCI Express Root Port") and PCI bridge: Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1,2,3

I have been trying every possible combination I can think of to get some sort of suspend working. Has anybody seen these issues before? Can anybody help me?

The nVidia AGP doesn't support my PCI bridge yet, so I can't use that module. When I look in /proc/drivers/nvidia I don't even have an 'agp' directory (not even /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status == disabled) so I don't know what that means, but the 'agpgart' module definitely loads.

Please help! Let me know if there is any more information that I can provide.
NormMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 09:33 AM   #2
NormMonkey

Default Re: nVidia Quadro 110M suspend issues

Hi,

Here is my nvidia-bug-report. Perhaps that will be useful to anybody who can help me with my suspend issues?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 07-11-06, 01:51 PM   #3
NormMonkey

Apparently the nVidia Quadro 110M is using a PCI Express bus on this machine, not AGP.

Could that be causing suspend-to-disk weirdness? Does anybody know of any special actions to be taken for suspend-to-disk?
Old 07-11-06, 02:18 PM   #4
NormMonkey

Update on the slowness I reported in Suspend-to-RAM. See note below about 2nd CPU, that's the interesting part.

* It happens after Suspend to RAM
* It only seems to affect text scrolling in gnome-terminal.
** glxgears produces the same great FPS rate whether it's running on CPU0 or CPU1 after STR.
** doing something like 'man bash' or 'ls / -R' or 'vi /etc/hibernate/common.conf' and scrolling the text, it scrolls as normal when on CPU0 but is dog-ass slow when on CPU1
* It only happens when the process is handed to the 2nd CPU (thanks gkrellm!)

* It goes away when I restart X, but *only if* I also 'rmmod nvidia'
Old 09-28-07, 06:01 PM   #5
beatryder

Upgrade to the latest version of the nvidia drivers.

Worked for me. Only suspend to ram though.
beatryder is offline   Reply With Quote